• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Butterfly Guard Drilling Progression

This was a video we shot last week in response to some questions about the butterfly guard and how to utilize sweeps from there. For me, as is most often the case, the techniques have to be built on a solid positional understanding, which is what we discuss here. The drilling progression we go thru is ideal for understanding, maintaining, and then using under pressure the butterfly guard.

From here, it become easy to add actual tactics to the end of the drilling sequence to work on specific techniques under stress as well as the attributes that the drill develops.

You can also open it up and allow for the movement from butterfly to complimentary guards as well as part of the progression.

As always, enjoy and debate!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like these drilling ideas, but I might have to work some of the other more basic stuff, first. But, the way you lay it out, you make a lot of these concepts seem basic, especially with the drilling ideas, and I like that a lot.

I hate sounding like a broken record, and please forgive me if I do, but...

Great tutorial, from start to end!!

Your students are quite lucky to have you on the mat...your through...step by step...without ambiguity in your teaching style...yeah...I like it quite a lot, Alex!!

I'd love to roll with you anytime!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I like these drilling ideas, but I might have to work some of the other more basic stuff, first. But, the way you lay it out, you make a lot of these concepts seem basic, especially with the drilling ideas, and I like that a lot.

Thanks, and thanks Bob as well.

Yes, they seem advanced, but the sequence is not difficult to get the hang of and it will pay out dividends for all open guard. If you give it a shot let me know how it goes.