• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this guy correct?

Ryu Machida

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Karate we call the roundhouse kick a Mawashi Geri. Also known as a turning kick. I have never heard the distinction between a round kick and a roundhouse kick before. I have seen a turning kick done both ways though. The first is most common, delivered with the instep or the ball of the foot. This is common in Muay Thai, they use the ankle and shin to strike too. The second kickis rarer, I have seen kickboxers do it. It is not included in our Karate at all. I can see that if you turn your back like that on your opponent, it could be a little risky.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It is the same principle for both kicks really , just like a front kick you can step forward and kick or kick on the same spot without stepping forward ...depending on how your opponent react and ends up .

His roundhouse kick is almost identical to shotokan's mawashi geri ,turning the support foot with hips fully involved .

never give up !

Even the publisher of this video mentions that the NAME shouldn't be considered important, in this regard. I wholeheartedly concur!! I've seen both of these kicks, and I've heard them be separated and I've heard them to be the same per its label.

Is he correct? Yes!! It's what he knows per his style's syllabus...methodology...ideology. My style doesn't do the second one at all.

On a side note...Ever notice in the beginning of his video, while he's kicking the bag, he's telegraphing his intent quite early?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've considered these distinctions before, but have never really defined them as such. For the most part, I've always used the term round kick, and I have never really been taught to do the kick with a full spin. I've tried it here and there, but not much.

Now the chamber I use for my "round" kick is the same chamber that he uses for his "roundhouse" kick. We don't do a front kick chamber and then turn the kick over, so we get more rotational power out of our "round" kick.

I will say this: this guy knows his stuff when it comes to kicking. I've subscribed to his channel, and used his videos as training tools. Lots of good stuff.

As for the naming of these two kicks, its going to depend on the style and the instructors who teach them as to what their called.

We would call the first one the roundhouse kick and the second a spinning roundhouse kick. There are no spinning kicks in Isshinryu, of course, but one of our instructors is also a 4th Dan in TKD and he teaches them to us.

To each his own, of course.

Also what he's calling a front leg round kick in my option is not a true front leg kick, due to fact he's stepping his rear leg up to the front part of the time. I consider this to be a switch kick. But again my opinion. And he's says that the front leg round kick has little power, I disagr with him here as if done properly it has knock out power. I notice he keeps repeating keep your hands up yet he drops his right hand to his kicking leg every time and explains later to use it to whip you kick through. This is just screams punch me in the face to everyone I've trained with. He would be better out pushing the hand out at face level pro protection as Thia fighters do. But again these are my opinions and they not agree with everyone.

Also what he's calling a front leg round kick in my option is not a true front leg kick, due to fact he's stepping his rear leg up to the front part of the time. I consider this to be a switch kick. But again my opinion. And he's says that the front leg round kick has little power, I disagr with him here as if done properly it has knock out power. I notice he keeps repeating keep your hands up yet he drops his right hand to his kicking leg every time and explains later to use it to whip you kick through. This is just screams punch me in the face to everyone I've trained with. He would be better out pushing the hand out at face level pro protection as Thia fighters do. But again these are my opinions and they not agree with everyone.
I'd have to watch again to see which "front" leg round kick you are talking about, but I agree with you in the semantics of that. If we step the back to the front foot, then it is still a front leg kick, as long as the kicking foot is in front of or even with the base leg. Otherwise, its a switch-foot kick, or a step then a back leg kick.

As for the hand coming down to his kicking leg to help whip it up, that isn't uncommon in teaching kicking technique. I think that's a lot of why Olympic stylists have their hands down, because they start swinging their arms to whip their kicks. Kind of like the way a runner pumps his arms when running.

As for the Thai fighting advise, I agree as well. But I think this guy has done some Muay Thai fighting, as well.

He makes a good argument for a distinction between the kicks, but I only see one kick actually being done, but, one kick or not I see that kick being applied differently.

One of the demonstrations is (to me) a kick I call a Knockdown mawashi geri.

(The Round house kick)

The kick by its downward angle 'drags' the opponent to the ground, where the other gains ground, pushes the opponent back and attacks the opponent in that same one action!

Hence I say same kick different applications!

(Makes me wonder if 'discussions' and so on back in the day was the birth place of splits in one system or another so giving us the various arts we have to choose form today!)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's easy to tune out when it's perceived that semantics are involved; seems like the same kick executed slightly differently.

Of course, I am no great master he-haw, so we shall wait for their erudite and incisive perspective.

:)

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.