• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best style for me?

Ryu Machida

I was wondering what style people might recommend for me? I have a long history of Kickboxing and Muay Thai with some TKD and Kung Fu, but would like to learn Karate. I have limited real understanding, but am a fan of fighters like Glaub Feitosa and Lyoto Machida, and would probably enjoy a style that is more on the fluid and light footed side.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If I was you I would look to find the best teacher I can learn from regardless of what style he is teaching.

I am biased becsuse I trained in shotokan and prefare it but that is becuase I trained with one of the best in the world .

but he could have been teaching wado or kyukoshin or shorin ryu and I would have followed that tradition .

They are all good but seek the knowledge from the best teacher you can find within your reach .

If you are planning to start this life long journey choose the best coach you can find to direct you and show you the way ....

never give up !

Ok it doesn't seem there is a Kyokushin gym around here which is a shame, however there is a Goju Ryu gym led by a guy called Ernie Molyneux which looks a good bet.

Any opinions on Goju Ryu? I hear it is similar to Kyokushin...?

Go check it out, and see if you think it will fit your needs. If the instructor is a good one, I'd say jump on it, for sure.

What style of TKD is your experience with?

Ok it doesn't seem there is a Kyokushin gym around here which is a shame, however there is a Goju Ryu gym led by a guy called Ernie Molyneux which looks a good bet.

Go check it out, and see if you think it will fit your needs. If the instructor is a good one, I'd say jump on it, for sure.

Cheers!

I trained with Grandmaster William Crouch in the Kikkikwon style.

Cheers!

Cool, thanks. What rank did you get to, and did you do any competing? I don't compete much anymore, but I train in an organization that does the Olympic style sparring.

Cheers!

Cool, thanks. What rank did you get to, and did you do any competing? I don't compete much anymore, but I train in an organization that does the Olympic style sparring.

I only trained with him on and off for a year or so and didn't really do the grades or compete, but he was fascinating to watch and whilst I had a big respect for Taekwondo, at the time I just wanted to learn some of the kicks and apply them to kickboxing. I could have applied myself, and would like to have eventually but I developed sclerosis of the hip joints (worse in my right), which lead me to Thai boxing and allowed me to focus more on hands and keep the kicks below the waist for the most part. I can still throw the left roundhouse up high quite regularly and even turning and spinning kicks which were always my speciality, and I still spar full contact a lot, but as soon as I try throwing right head kicks I get a searing pain all through my hips, so since then I have stuck to thai boxing.

I feel I've kind of gone as far as I can with Thai Boxing though aside from competing, which I still dream of, but at 38 with my hips I'm looking to have a go at something else like Karate and learn it properly. Do the sets, etc. Hopefully I don't have to throw really high roundhouse kicks constantly on the right leg though or it's back to thai boxing! Like I say, my left leg is great and I can throw it up there all day, and front and side kicks to the head are fine as well, even with the right for the most part.

I've also been a party animal and a heavy drinker all my life which has held me back from that kind of thing, but I've sorted that out now and looking to martial arts again as a focus.

I've trained BJJ but I'm much happier standing up.

Gojo Ryu is a traditional style, with a good linage, you can't go wrong. It can be tough, it can be more modern, as was said, it can be good with the right instructor.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Gojo Ryu is a traditional style, with a good linage, you can't go wrong. It can be tough, it can be more modern, as was said, it can be good with the right instructor.

Tough sounds good. I like a challenge! As long as it isn't too wearing on the joints and I have to throw really high right head kicks.

I have problems with ADD even at my age and I'm on Ritalin, and I remember a time when I was heavily into kickboxing when I felt more together. I want to re-capture that feeling, but I can't seem to find the will to get back to the Thai Boxing gym after almost a year out of training. I get bored very quickly when I feel that I have learnt all I can.

That's why Karate is appealing to meat the moment. No disrespect to Thai Boxing, but I find the clinch work a bit boring, and aside from that, in terms of the striking I've really reached a point where I don't think there's a lot more to learn, but with Karate I could get really stuck into the Kata.

New movements open new Neural Pathways apparently, so being in that environment, and learning is a healthy way of getting the mind and body into ship shape.

I've already decided to give tbis a try actually. This place seems cool and the cheif instructor seems pretty legit.

http://www.bournemouthkarateacademy.co.uk/instructors/

Every trainer I've ever had in any style has been a world champion so I'm quite keen to get with a good trainer.