• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you accurately identify this kick?

Ryu Machida

I've seen Kyokushin wheel kicks that sacrifice like that, but that one is different. Harkon described it well. I'd categorize it as a sacrifice kick, as you are basically guaranteed to land on your back in a poor defensive position when the kick is done, whether you land it or not.

Not something you would want to throw in any scenerio that involves grappling unless you are very confident off your back! I'm pretty sure I've seen a clip where that move is thrown in Karate though, and they miss, and the opponent is allowed to strike them when they're on the floor?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I've seen Kyokushin wheel kicks that sacrifice like that, but that one is different. Harkon described it well. I'd categorize it as a sacrifice kick, as you are basically guaranteed to land on your back in a poor defensive position when the kick is done, whether you land it or not.

Not something you would want to throw in any scenerio that involves grappling unless you are very confident off your back! I'm pretty sure I've seen a clip where that move is thrown in Karate though, and they miss, and the opponent is allowed to strike them when they're on the floor?

That's the rub, really. Competition rules can change the dynamics of things so much that kicks like this can develop and be used without a thought to consequences of missing.

With that said, I doubt this is something this guy pulls off regularly, or even tries to. This was probably an example of a freak opportunity that a good athlete used to his advantage.