Ryu Machida

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's a Kyokushin wheel kick isn't it?

Dangerous to say the least...

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

It's not really a karate kick at all. Remember, originally, Okinawan Karate only had one type of kick and that was mae geri, or front kick. This is a strange kick, a somersault with an inverted kin geri, or front kick with the instep. It is very risky and dangerous. You can't control it at all. Even kicking styles like tae kwon do and capoeria would struggle to control this one. It has to be done at speed, you are totally committed; at the point of impact, your body is upside down, it may be a devastating technique but if your opponent catches you and grapples with you, you could be in serious trouble. Don't try it on the street, the ground is hard.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It's not really a karate kick at all. Remember, originally, Okinawan Karate only had one type of kick and that was mae geri, or front kick. This is a strange kick, a somersault with an inverted kin geri, or front kick with the instep. It is very risky and dangerous. You can't control it at all. Even kicking styles like tae kwon do and capoeria would struggle to control this one. It has to be done at speed, you are totally committed; at the point of impact, your body is upside down, it may be a devastating technique but if your opponent catches you and grapples with you, you could be in serious trouble. Don't try it on the street, the ground is hard.

Yes...the felled opponent also darn near landed on top of the kickers HEAD!! To risky for me to ever want to try it on the streets; to many things can go wrong for me!!

Looks great when it works, but ugly when it doesn't. Nah, I'll stay away that kick. Spar against a Kyokushin practitioner...stay aware...it's not a question of "IF", but more of "WHEN"...it will be tried!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yes...the felled opponent also darn near landed on top of the kickers HEAD!! To risky for me to ever want to try it on the streets; to many things can go wrong for me!!

Looks great when it works, but ugly when it doesn't. Nah, I'll stay away that kick. Spar against a Kyokushin practitioner...stay aware...it's not a question of "IF", but more of "WHEN"...it will be tried!!

:)

Impressive kick!!!

My biggest concern is that if you miss you end up on the ground in a very vulnerable position. The technique is no less impressive however and in my opinion is ideal for a ring sport where no ground fighting is allowed.

Otherwise on the street or in MMA - USER BEWARE!!!

:karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

I've seen Kyokushin wheel kicks that sacrifice like that, but that one is different. Harkon described it well. I'd categorize it as a sacrifice kick, as you are basically guaranteed to land on your back in a poor defensive position when the kick is done, whether you land it or not.