• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Visited a Kyokushin dojo

Wastelander

Kyokushin Karate is the real thing, stand toe to toe with a real Kyokoshin and you'll find out what I mean. They don't mess about, their Dojo are relatively rare in the UK. People don't want to put the effort in to do such training any more. Real Karateka are a dying breed. Belt hungry parents and Sensei that water down their syllabus for profit are getting more common. This is a great photo, some of those guys look very capable.

Oh, for sure! They're a very tough bunch, and they incorporate face punches and grappling in their sparring, too, unlike some Kyokushin dojo. Thankfully, I've never felt like I've been in over my head when sparring with Kyokushin people--except in the fitness department! They can go forever! :P

... and people (namely the wife) wondered why when I decided to come back to MA that I did so only if the dojo was a Kyokushin school!

I only got her agreement ... kind'a ... once I proved the limited face contact ...somehow I forgot to mention clicker combat ..ho hum!

I seriously promote the idea of 'having a go' find a Kykushin dojo and train with us!

You'll love it !

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's really cool! I'd like to get the chance to train with some of the people from here at KF at some point!

That's really cool! I'd like to get the chance to train with some of the people from here at KF at some point!

Definitely--I would love to meet and train with more people, too! You're not outside the realm of possibility, for me, either. I'm originally from Central Illinois, my work has properties in the Quad Cities and Chicago, and Sensei Stolsmark puts on a Shorinkan gasshuku in Milwaukee every year, so I have plenty of excuses to be in your general area, eventually :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

There is a certain idea romantic or not, that's up to you to decide, but the notion to go around doing that is a cool one to be open and honest with you!

The idea of doing some sort of travelling diary/blog of the various dojos visited and the people met ...

I'm liking the idea a great deal!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.