• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Darkness

15love

Huffing and puffing is good, right? It means we're getting some cardio in. 15love welcome to MA, hopefully you kept at it during the holidays. Your posts are excellent; well thought out and written, and engaging. Good luck to you and your son.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't say there's any light, but my son & I were graded on our kumite today. Our first stripe. I believe there's a chance we could test for our Gold Belts in FEB.
Congrats! That's great news!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Welcome 15love!

I know this is a little late, but I also know you will love this community. Its a great place to share your journey with others on the same path.

Its been great reading your posts to date BTW. Reminds me a lot of what I have gone through in training, and even when going back to training after a long break :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Welcome 15love!

I know this is a little late, but I also know you will love this community. Its a great place to share your journey with others on the same path.

Its been great reading your posts to date BTW. Reminds me a lot of what I have gone through in training, and even when going back to training after a long break :)

Yeah, I feel great. My gi has been altered to fit comfortable & patches on :D . Starting a nice memory-bank of moves, getting in-shape, and motivated! It's nice the classes are small & they focus a lot the training toward me; my main training partner is a 1st Kyu so I get maximal experience going against a more experienced fighter.

All in All is All We Are

Welcome 15love!

Yeah, I feel great. My gi has been altered to fit comfortable & patches on :D . Starting a nice memory-bank of moves, getting in-shape, and motivated! It's nice the classes are small & they focus a lot the training toward me; my main training partner is a 1st Kyu so I get maximal experience going against a more experienced fighter.

Excellent! I am glad to see that you have the right attitude, you would be amazed at the number of people whom I have come across that want to have nothing to do with higher ranking students. For whatever reason they only want to partner with others their own rank. One thing I have picked up over the years is that if you really want to improve the way to do it is to pair with and train with the higher ranks, sure they may embarrass you but you will pick up much more from them than you would from another white belt.

Your attitude is excellent, seems you are taking it slow but steady which is 100% correct! Don't be afraid to push yourself but don't over do it either, that can lead to injury and more. Keep working away, you certainly have the drive, I think you will do well in MA. Good luck to you!

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Tonight I learned Pinan Shodan. I performed about 7 reps after performing all the basic strikes, kicks, blocks, & stances (20 each side).

I really enjoy doing the kata, it helps me become more coordinated & mixes strikes and blocks with varying movement.

Now it's time for more home reps to commit to muscle memory.

All in All is All We Are

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! Sounds like it's going well!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I don't want to sound arrogant, but my basic stance is solid & I'm getting into the rhythm. I'm wanting to advance, but following my style's & Kyoshi's plan. I'm really getting into it now that I'm learning throws & escapes.

I'm way more into "it" than I was when I started; is this normal? It's like I'm chomping-at-the-bit to begin learning the next kata :o

All in All is All We Are