• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Darkness

15love

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to karate! I believe Shorei Goju is an off-shoot of Robert Trias' karate, and I used to practice Shuri-Ryu, so we have a bit of a connection, there! I'm glad you and your son are enjoying classes. Keep it up!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to karate! I believe Shorei Goju is an off-shoot of Robert Trias' karate, and I used to practice Shuri-Ryu, so we have a bit of a connection, there! I'm glad you and your son are enjoying classes. Keep it up!

Yes. I have read that name in the Kyoshi's bio. Other names I recall were Glenn Keeney & Herb Johnson.

All in All is All We Are

Yes. I have read that name in the Kyoshi's bio. Other names I recall were Glenn Keeney & Herb Johnson.

Well known karateka's and well respected!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So tonight was my second lesson. We did self-defense. Not as physically demanding as kumite lesson, but much mentally & technique challenging.

We mostly did break-away moves from grabs & holds. I was totally uncoordinated & kept crossing my feet instead of stepping toward the the arm that reached/grabbed me. But I think with some repetition I can get the hang-of-it.

Tonight, class was led by a red & white belt (not sure what Dan that equates to). I felt more comfortable as I was with a blue belt and a white belt, and I teamed up with the white belt, who later tested for their gold belt. The Sensei focused the class toward me and the white belt, as the blue belt worked with two other BBs.

My next, and final trial lesson is this SAT. I can't wait to sign-up and wear a gi :)

All in All is All We Are

So tonight was my second lesson. We did self-defense. Not as physically demanding as kumite lesson, but much mentally & technique challenging.

We mostly did break-away moves from grabs & holds. I was totally uncoordinated & kept crossing my feet instead of stepping toward the the arm that reached/grabbed me. But I think with some repetition I can get the hang-of-it.

Tonight, class was led by a red & white belt (not sure what Dan that equates to). I felt more comfortable as I was with a blue belt and a white belt, and I teamed up with the white belt, who later tested for their gold belt. The Sensei focused the class toward me and the white belt, as the blue belt worked with two other BBs.

My next, and final trial lesson is this SAT. I can't wait to sign-up and wear a gi :)

Sounds like your first class was a good one for you across the board. Things will come together, and as in everything, it'll take time. There's no hurry! Train hard and train well!!

To the bold type above...

If the Red and White were panels, that usually denotes 7th and 8th Dan's.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So it happened! I stepped into the dojo & was not disappointed.

First, I stood out like a sore thumb; guy in civilian clothes (me) with Kyoshi, 3 black belts (I believe a 3rd degree & 2 Shodans), and a 3rd & 4kyu. I was certainly intimidated, but everyone treated me friendly & they seemed to gear the whole session toward me,

i remember my first class at my dojang was really similar. surrounded by red belts, black stripes, and black belts, and here I am first trial class and I don't have a dobok yet. But i slowly learned that actually the higher up belts were actually more inviting and open than the other belts.

i like this thread and look forward to hearing more of your stories.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it! I signed up got my gi & progress book. I felt so proud in my sparkling white gi. I signed my son up too! He wanted me to show him the moves I learned & put on my gi :)

Last night was self-defense (my second lesson in this aspect). I did much better this time as I was more coordinated, as I recalled my first lesson (now only a thousand more repetitions :D ) We rotated partners, which provided more variety and allowed me to learn everyone's names. The kyoshi even allowed me to demonstrate with him (he allowed me to grab him as hard as I could, showing how easily he could escape when technique was performed correctly & how difficult it was to escape if executed poorly). In class, there was me and another 10th kyu, a 2nd kyu, & a fourth kyu, along with the Kyoshi, & 3 BBs (though one has red & white belt similar to Kyoshi's; so I'm not sure of Dan level). I'm still memorizing creed, etiquette, rules, counting, and practitioners' names.

It was so awesome to see the Kyoshi demonstrate the techniques we learned (one can just visualize the devastation he could produce by his speed, control, power, & variety of counter attacks.

Anyway, I feel I learned a lot, but need to practice it much more, in order to feel it 'come natural.' Will update later.

All in All is All We Are

So my son has been attending a different class than mine (children's basic). I thought I would be light years ahead of him and have to tread water until he caught up. But he's actually picking it up better than me in certain areas. My technical skill may be better, but his memory of the creed, rules, language, & the order of skills is better than mine :)

Anyway, just an update, and may explain why one sees highly advanced younger students; their like sponges.

All in All is All We Are

• 4 weeks later...

So update. I'm training hard & improving. Time to begin testing; Have learned Pinan Shodan & basics. I believe I'm more impressed with my workouts. I'm still huffing & puffing by the end of each session :)

All in All is All We Are