15love

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you had a great experience. Good deal! Your strength and endurance will come along in time. It sounds like you have a good group in the class, too. Keep us posted on how your son does, as well. Its great that he was so excited and asking questions. Sounds like he'll have a good time, too.

Well 48 hours after my first session; I feel pretty good. Not too terribly sore, but sore all over. I desperately want to sign-up now, but want to wait until my trial lessons are over (even though I know I'm gonna continue).

My son really enjoyed his lesson. They made it fun & were very adept at keeping the kids' focus and teaching to their capacity.

I can't wait to get my log book so I can practice more and explore what's to come. I didn't practice yesterday d/t soreness, but today I worked on the kumite I learned WED (trying not telegraph my attack & keeping my form to the letter).

Will update later; thanks for listening.

All in All is All We Are

Very glad to hear that things went well 15 love. Sure, you're out of shape, that's not a worry, good instructors and thoughtfully constructed training sessions will automatically align all your habits - you'll soon find that eating, drinking, exercising and sleeping will all be geared to delivering you superior performance at the dojo - and no, you won't have to think too hard about it, you'll just want to get everything in balance so that you can perform better and better while training.

It probably doesn't sound strange to say, but before I found my dojo, although I was eating well, probably far too well, and exercising from time to time, I didn't really have any structure and I wasn't really sure what I was trying to get fit for. Sure I know that good health and moderation have their own benefits but before I joined my dojo I couldn't ever really keep my eating/drinking/exercise aligned. Now that I do and, more importantly, now that I know what I am training for, it's so much easier to do the right thing and slowly but surely I'm getting into shape. Since early September I've gone from 113.3 kilos (249.8 pounds) to 101.8 kilos (224.4 pounds) and yeah it's perhaps not a lot but I can't tell you how much better I am feeling and just getting familiar and happy with even the most rudimentary training techniques is fantastic. Although it's not really a big deal, I take a great deal of pleasure in now knowing Kata No. 1 - basic yes, but what the hell, I'm happy and we all have to start at the beginning :)

Keep going mate and you've got the added joy of your son also learning with you, so make the little changes that you need to for a magnified cumulative effect - I know you're thinking about these things, it comes across loud and clear in your posts.

Congrats and happy days! :karate:

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.

I have a question on etiquette. I've been addressing all Black Belts as sir & everyone higher (everyone) as Mr./Ms. and only first name if that's all I know. But the Kyoshi, if I'm even using that term correctly calls some BB Sensei and some MR./Ms. (insert last name). My question, am I appropriate to respond "sir" or "ma'am" to BB, or even higher ranks? I just don't want to be disrespectful. And who do I address as Sensei?

All in All is All We Are

Welcome and great thread!

I do hope this becomes everything you hope it to be for you and your son.

Great luck on your journey!!

Look forward to hearing how it goes!!! :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

15Love-it's always best to ask your sensei as the traditions vary even among dojos of the same style. Personally I do not like to address BB's as Mr or Mrs as I feel that it is a general title of respect and not just for BB's or "special" people. I prefer a more familial custom at my dojo where BB's are addressed by their title and first name, i.e., Sensei Mike, ChoGyoNim Jared, etc. It's the martial tradition that I grew up with so I keep it going.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

15Love-it's always best to ask your sensei as the traditions vary even among dojos of the same style. Personally I do not like to address BB's as Mr or Mrs as I feel that it is a general title of respect and not just for BB's or "special" people. I prefer a more familial custom at my dojo where BB's are addressed by their title and first name, i.e., Sensei Mike, ChoGyoNim Jared, etc. It's the martial tradition that I grew up with so I keep it going.

8)

Thanks Ninjanurse.

All in All is All We Are