• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in the Gi for Self Defense and LE

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thanks, Brian...I greatly appreciate your answers.

Alex, I surrender your thread back to you sir!!

:)

Great video as always. One of the things that we get asked all the time by students. And the simple answer is often that we are wearing jackets half the year. That you are forced to work more on defense and offense worth the gi is one I hasn't thought of before. One point that we point out is that the transition from gi to no gi is easier. Bushidoman, you asked about on the gi. For us the transition to no gi a sleeve grip can become wrist control very easily. Yes, you need to train that change over, but it is an easy transition to make.

The point about getting better at body control by doing gi work was one I hadn't considered. But, in thinking back on my karate based grappling and grips I think my (limited) bjj experience has changed how I can control people. More when I'm not on a phone.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Gi training has its advantages as well as its disadvantages, and the same can be said of no-gi training, as well! Having said that, Shindokan trains quite a lot in the various grips, which entails strengthening the hands, which in turn, strengthens the grip. Ask Brian, he can attest to my grip prowess first hand. I'm not dependent on a gi in my arsenal on and off the mat because of my gripping strength.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Gi training has its advantages as well as its disadvantages, and the same can be said of no-gi training, as well! Having said that, Shindokan trains quite a lot in the various grips, which entails strengthening the hands, which in turn, strengthens the grip. Ask Brian, he can attest to my grip prowess first hand. I'm not dependent on a gi in my arsenal on and off the mat because of my gripping strength.

Yeah, didn't enjoy the grip of your paws! :lol: At my first GRACIE course, one of the guys there was a BJJ brown belt, and I asked him if he crushed rocks with his hands before he got into his profession. He had a nasty grip, too.