• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your school advertise prices?

Also, sometimes, the pricing structure is complicated. Some offer discounts if you pay for a year in advance or have multiple family members. Some have different prices for kids vs adults. Some have different prices for the number of classes you're allowed to attend per week. Listing options like this might not be the best use of ad space, although it should be pretty easy to do on a website.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Also, sometimes, the pricing structure is complicated. Some offer discounts if you pay for a year in advance or have multiple family members. Some have different prices for kids vs adults. Some have different prices for the number of classes you're allowed to attend per week. Listing options like this might not be the best use of ad space, although it should be pretty easy to do on a website.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Completely agree. I don't expect pricing on every ad in every newspaper, but if I go to their website I'd like to be able to get a general idea even if it's just the base line with "additional pricing options available" or something like that. But when all there is is a "contact us" page with boxes to enter in my contact info without even a text box in which to explain what I'm looking for, I'm very reluctant to put down my information.

Fees are usually one of the first things a prospective student will want to know. There is so much variation in how this part is managed and a good school is usually able to provide basic information about payments. Advertising the pricing or not can be an advantage or a disadvantage.

From a school/instructor point of view, using up add space for pricing details can leave out other aspects they may want to mention. Advertisement space can be costly and instructors want something simple and concise to attract people to their dojo. From a potential student point of view, if the main information is about fees it can distract from other information.

The best advertisements I have seen only had enough information to satisfy initial inquiries about costs. Usually the cost of one month's worth of instructions.

All of the schools I attend/have attended have advertised prices. Our primary objective isn't to turn a profit, it is to teach martial arts.

I have visited a lot of schools that do not (and they tend to be big $$), and some that want to discuss it (tiered pricing for # of people and how long you pay for, but they also usually have price charts available inside).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Fees are usually one of the first things a prospective student will want to know. There is so much variation in how this part is managed and a good school is usually able to provide basic information about payments. Advertising the pricing or not can be an advantage or a disadvantage.

From a school/instructor point of view, using up add space for pricing details can leave out other aspects they may want to mention. Advertisement space can be costly and instructors want something simple and concise to attract people to their dojo. From a potential student point of view, if the main information is about fees it can distract from other information.

The best advertisements I have seen only had enough information to satisfy initial inquiries about costs. Usually the cost of one month's worth of instructions.

Solid!! Ad space is precious and a school may prefer to pitch or convey something other than cost at first. This approach tends to sell 'value' and oftentimes the sell is at a higher price point than the competition's. Can't fault a school - or any business for that matter - for trying to make money. The question in my mind is always the quality of the instruction as well as the cost of the instruction. These are two separate things so a school that is trying to make more money is not necessarily a McDojo. Just like a cheap school is not necessarily a good school.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

We've put it on all of our fliers, and the basic class rate in our advertising posts on social media. There is a mention of family/multi-student discounts with the offer to provide details upon request. We don't hide charges, I'm open with them and when folks hear the price they are often shocked. We price about the same level my first instructor did 20 years ago. Not because I don't think that my time/skills/ability are worth that little(man that sounded bad), but because the local economy won't bear much more right now.

In considering our first print advertisements, which I shall have to talked to PitbullJudoka about, I don't know if I will include pricing. Print charges by space/word. We don't have the spare cash to take out a half page add with a generous amount of information. We will have to plan for the best bang for the buck. What/where/when being key. How much costs you a phone call or email.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 2 months later...