• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ive been told that a persons "on/off" switch is their chin, hence a popular target for fighters. Why is this? Will a blow of equal power be less effective to other parts of the head? Also, is the object of roundhouses to the thigh to disable that leg by damaging muscle? Is there a fairly common strategy for thai boxing?

You guys are a weath of knowledge. Respect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is a saying'if you cut the base of the tree it will fall',so the legs are the first to weaken then the body then the head.

The reason the chin is a good target is there are nerves that cause a K.O.,the chin is not a solid but is loose and the jaw can be broken with a good shot.

The solar plex is another good target as are the floating ribs.

Im not really sure of the scoring rules in Muay Thai, besides a knockout win, what do the judges look for? Whoever lands the most and gets hit the least I would guess, are more points awarded for certain techniques?

My opinion as to why the chin causes KO's is not because of nerves or that the chin is weak. It is because if you hit the chin correctly, you will cause the head to turn on it's fulcrum of the spine. If you turn the head fast enough then the brain will move inside of the skull and will be rattled too, this is what causes KO's.

As far as scoring, Danny is correct in most cases. BUT, in different cultures the scoring is different, and it varies from judge to judge. Many USA judges don't think that elbows and knees are very effective and don't score them as much as kicks. In Thailand, there are more points awarded to someone that can attack the back of their opponent. (at least is used to be this way) In some events, throws are allowed and scored also (yes, in a Muay Thai event!), in most events, throws are not legal. Your best bet is to talk to a judge and find out what their criteria is.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

In Thailand and under the WMC rules(the main governing body running Muay Thai)

knees and elbows are the number one scoring techniques and to throw like Judo is illegal,you can hold their leg and kick the other legs out but you can't hip throw.

As for the knock out you are probably right but there are more than one way for the K.O.

Do they sanction elbow fights in the U.S?

Some places in the USA allow the use of the elbows in Muay Thai. It's very rare though, as we are restricted by state laws and such. Why can't they just leave us alone and let us beat the crap outta each other? Oh well, I guess people will always abhor "violent" sports and seek to restrict the rules.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• 4 weeks later...