• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dealing with the Athletic Partner

Everyone, here's a short video that a JKD instructor friend of mine shot for his students who were asking questions during a recent grappling block they were covering. We shot three of these, in this one, we talk about dealing with the highly aggressive, athletic opponent.

Discussion welcome!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another top notch tutorial, Alex. Yes, this was a Q&A session, and not a physical tutorial. Loved it, through and through. Found myself shaking my head up and down quite a lot when you were speaking!! Excellent!!

Even before I opened this thread, and even before I played the video link, and from reading the thread's title, I quickly said...

SLOW HIM/HER DOWN!!

Fighting...defending...at their game isn't going to have a pleasant ending for you. But, like you pointed out quickly, isolating him/her is akin to applying your cars brake in a controlled manner, versus using hard braking method, because while both will stop and/or slow down your car, one will do it in a slow manner, while the other might put you through the windshield.

In the latter, things will happen way to fast to properly react. While on the other hand, a slow braking will allow the driver to think responsibly as options, lanes of opportunities, reveal themselves to that type of driver.

Slow him/her down, but do it in a slow and controlled manner, and not in a hard braking and uncontrolled manner.

Things, on the mat, happen way to fast, and whenever one's dealing with an aggressive and athletic opponent who's transitions and the like a akin to trying to control the wind; it's just not going to happen. However, slowing down the wind, well, that's more doable than one might imagine.

Grab a leg...grab a arm...grab a sleeve...grab the gi/shorts...grab the core...grab something and slow her/him down. It's akin to sticking an object into the speeding bike's spokes; they will slow or they will stop. Either is preferred over allowing them to continue in their athletically generated aggressiveness.

As in chess, and this is more for the advanced grapplers, sacrifices are made to control the center of the chess board. However, these sacrifices are calculated sacrifices and not made from ones whimsical intents. Sacrifices, for the moment, something for this athletic generated aggressive opponent, something for him/her to grasp, but not any body part! That, too, will slow him/her down. It's a risk! But, a well planned out sacrifice wins that chess encounter, thusly, offers the potentiality of winning through the checkmate!!

That's all that we're initially trying to do...slow that type of opponent down so that you can begin to force your opponent to fight your fight, therefore, their fight isn't an issue no more.

SLOW HER/HIM DOWN!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yes, thanks for sharing this. This is a problem I have in DT club, where everyone is about 10 years younger, and more athletic and in much better shape than I am. I've found that I can wear some guys down if I get on top, just because I am heavy, but I don't want to do it that way. I want to gain skill.

Also, we grapple exclusively without the gi when we roll. I've heard the gi slows things down. So, without this aspect, do you recommend any different approach to slowing things down more when the gi isn't a factor? The other day, I did manage to ride a half guard for a while to kind of stalemate things, but eventually it wasn't enough, because I needed to try to get somewhere. Perhaps its my lack of knowledge overall that hurts me, too. But do you guys have any other suggestions?

Great follow up points, Brian.

First up, I would agree, the gi slows things down. It defiantly takes some of the speed and athleticism out of things because grips are a huge equalizer. That's why they shouldn't be overlooked or taken for granted. Now, grips are much more than just getting material in one's hand. You have to know which fits where for what purpose. Each combination of hand position, location of grip, ect, has a slightly different purpose.

Now, how does that apply to no-gi? Well, the concept remains the same. Isolation of a segment of an individual with proper application of technique remains the same. But, with no gi the tactic will be different. With grips, you can start climbing to application as soon as you get connection.

This is why connection that does not benefit you should be contested. Way to many people just let grips happen. But that's a different Q and A. :)

So when building isolation and taking away his space, you'll need to focus on deep underhooks and grips that encircle. Wrist grabs are just too easy to circumvent and should not be relied on as an isolating movement. They should lead you to a more solid position (ie. to an arm drag.)

Notice that I'm still talking about position. Proper technical position and a body posture that gives you and advantage. So, underhooks, wraps, ect. become your friend for the no gi game. These will accomplish the same thing, with the same principle, just with different tools.

BJJ and No Gi are pretty similar with principle, it's the tools that often vary.

On another note, check out tomorrow's final interview for why everyone should take time to train in the gi, even if they are into grappling for reasons other than pure BJJ!

Cool! Let me know how it goes! All this comes with a warranty so if you're having issues ask away!