• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ball and Chain Sweep Recap

This week our training focus was sweeping from the guard. We spent lots of time from the closed guard, but we finished with an intricate sweep from the open position, the Ball and Chain.

While this in and of itself is a complex maneuver, it's built on the foundation that we laid with all the closed guard sweeps along the way. As you look at this sweep, pay particular attention to the sequence we take to get here. It's all about being able to understand the transitional aspect of jiu jitsu.

Controlling the transition, and preventing the scramble, is a key component to jiu jitsu and I understand it.

Check it out and hash out any thoughts below!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, it bears to be repeated, again...awesome tutorial, Alex; top notch. Great breakdown of the sequential components; nice tight and compact through and through.

What I'm about to say is something that I'd be amiss if I didn't...better have options available when each sequence is countered. If not, bad things begin to happen. For example, while opponent is standing, and you try to place your foot against your opponents outside, farthest away, foot, your opponent slightly moves that foot out of range.

Transitional counters attempted by your opponent are NOT the end of the world. Don't panic...work it out without giving the farm away!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That's one of the greatest strengths of BJJ in my opinion, dealing with the live opponent. It's built into the training method from day 1 in jits. Even a white belt has been dealing with someone trying to stop his movements from the very first day on the mat.

The resistive opponent isn't theoretical to the BJJ player. It's a part of his daily training.

That's one of the greatest strengths of BJJ in my opinion, dealing with the live opponent. It's built into the training method from day 1 in jits. Even a white belt has been dealing with someone trying to stop his movements from the very first day on the mat.

The resistive opponent isn't theoretical to the BJJ player. It's a part of his daily training.

I wholeheartedly concur that the BJJ practitioners greatest strengths is live training from day 1. Many other styles of the MA, imho, need to adopt the BJJ teaching models of training live from day 1 when grappling is concerned.

Whereas, in Shindokan, grappling isn't introduced until 6th Kyu/Green belt. This I've argued compassionately with both Soke and Dai-Soke as to the drawbacks of waiting so long. Their reasons are understandable, "First have a basic understanding of familiarity with body mechanics as they are taught and discovered through Bunkai/Oyo from the students first day", but, as they've pointed out to me, "Isn't late, better than never?", but that still hasn't sat well with me, their reasoning's cause me to accept that in our syllabus. However, I encourage my students to "experiment" now, but only under my watchful eye. Open floor training days are where all levels can learn and train whereas the syllabus might not allow it; even though instructors aren't hamstrung by bureaucratic red-tape...teach first, coddle the hierarchy temperance later...much later.

Rule 1, TEACH...Rule 2, see Rule 1!!

I agree with this.

Thanks for the video, once again. I think this one is way above my pay grade! But I do like how you talk through to the spider guard and the transitions. There seems to be so much there, but I imagine with time it isn't quite so overwhelming. I thought I saw where the scissors sweep would get worked in there.

Whereas, in Shindokan, grappling isn't introduced until 6th Kyu/Green belt. This I've argued compassionately with both Soke and Dai-Soke as to the drawbacks of waiting so long. Their reasons are understandable, "First have a basic understanding of familiarity with body mechanics as they are taught and discovered through Bunkai/Oyo from the students first day", but, as they've pointed out to me, "Isn't late, better than never?", but that still hasn't sat well with me, their reasoning's cause me to accept that in our syllabus.

Bob, don't you have the autonomy to introduce grappling into your classes whenever you see fit? After all, you are the senior rank of the style at this point. Don't you have some input into these things, at least when it comes to the classes you teach?

I agree with this.

Thanks for the video, once again. I think this one is way above my pay grade! But I do like how you talk through to the spider guard and the transitions. There seems to be so much there, but I imagine with time it isn't quite so overwhelming. I thought I saw where the scissors sweep would get worked in there.

Whereas, in Shindokan, grappling isn't introduced until 6th Kyu/Green belt. This I've argued compassionately with both Soke and Dai-Soke as to the drawbacks of waiting so long. Their reasons are understandable, "First have a basic understanding of familiarity with body mechanics as they are taught and discovered through Bunkai/Oyo from the students first day", but, as they've pointed out to me, "Isn't late, better than never?", but that still hasn't sat well with me, their reasoning's cause me to accept that in our syllabus.

Bob, don't you have the autonomy to introduce grappling into your classes whenever you see fit? After all, you are the senior rank of the style at this point. Don't you have some input into these things, at least when it comes to the classes you teach?

To the bold type above...

Sure, I've the autonomy to introduce grappling into my classes whenever I see fit. And I do it all of the time! However, that's within my own dojo!!

Outside of my own dojo, and I don't expect anyone outside of the Shindokan circle to understand and appreciate this, I am the senior rank of Shindokan, but, I'm one person, one practitioner, and one instructor. Any changes to the syllabus/curriculum have to be voted on, and it requires a 100% vote of approval, and not a majority of votes, for this to happen.

Being senior rank doesn't mean that I can pass whatever policy and rule and regulation I want to just because I want to; no matter the supportive argument that I might have! My input is just that, an input, an advice, a thought, and a suggestion, but it's not a rule!! Again, Rule #1 is TEACH!! Rule #2; see Rule #1!! I don't need approval for what occurs in my dojo, however, I do need approval to teach something that's going to be formally tested upon before, in this case, 6th Kyu!!

Look, Dai-Soke taught all of his JBB things "above our ranks" because he was the Chief Instructor/Kaicho, without Soke's approval. Why? The Hombu was Soke's, and not Dai-Soke's, but, Soke allowed because he was the CI!! Therefore, while we were being taught Shodan...then Nidan...then Sandan things from the syllabus/curriculum, we were never tested until we achieved those tenures.

What I do in my own dojo is MY business, however, students aren't tested officially until they've reached 6th Kyu!! This has nothing to do with loyalty to Soke/Dai-Soke, this has something to do with honoring our sworn duties and responsibilities, to the oaths that we've taken.

Our student body deserves that!! I don't believe in hidden techniques and I don't believe in waiting for policies to teach...no...I TEACH, and be darned to any policy and regulation that stifles the betterment of my students.