• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Figure-8 Deflection Drill

In my dojo, we occasionally work a parrying/deflection drill that we call "Figure-8's" due to the motion of the hands during the drill. This is a skill-building drill, rather than a directly-applicable fighting drill. To begin, your partner will start feeding you continuous, straight punches to the face. As the person doing the drill, you start with a cross-body palm block (eg. your right hand palm blocks their right hand punch). To deflect their second punch, you roll your elbow over it, and then you can bring your hand back across with a sword/knife hand block to deflect their third punch. At this point, you simply repeat the drill with your other hand. I made a short video illustrating the drill:

At the end of the video, I show an example of a joint lock you can work into from this drill. You can actually work in a wide array of tuidi-waza, once you are comfortable with the flow of the drill. In addition, this drill can be made more advanced by employing both hands for each parry, or by sticking to the punches after you deflect them.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They have similar drills in Wing Chun. As you practice you apply them faster and faster. They are good for reflex response to attack, their weakness is that you can be led into acting in a certain way with faints. That's why it's good to train them with some Chi Sau.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Thanks for sharing this video. I do like the skill-building aspect of the drill, and adding in the joint lock at the end is good for a student to get a feel for when one can apply said lock.

I do have issues with the way that the attacker performs the punches, as they really don't look like punches, but I also understand that its for skill building. Is there some variations on the drill that you do with regards to more standard attacking, like a straight punch or a circular punch?

Yes, the "punches" in the video are really just for flow, since they come smoother, and in a straighter line. The drill can also be done from a more boxing style 1-2-1, although not all of us practice it that way--it's up to the individuals doing the drill. As you said, though, it's really more of a skill-building drill than a practical application drill.

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Flow drills, like Wastelander's video demonstrates, are found in quite a lot of Okinawan styles. Therefore, a critical part of any Okinawan styles' curriculum/syllabus. Our brand of Tuite greatly depends on flow drills because these drills help us reveal the many intrinsic possibilities that can be discovered.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Flow drills, like Wastelander's video demonstrates, are found in quite a lot of Okinawan styles. Therefore, a critical part of any Okinawan styles' curriculum/syllabus. Our brand of Tuite greatly depends on flow drills because these drills help us reveal the many intrinsic possibilities that can be discovered.

I do enjoy seeing these drills. I see similarities between this drill and some of the ones seen over in the Wing Chun posts, too. We did a flow drill together, didn't we, Bob? I don't recall what it was called, though. It was kind of like a sticking hands type of drill, I think.

I do enjoy seeing these drills. I see similarities between this drill and some of the ones seen over in the Wing Chun posts, too. We did a flow drill together, didn't we, Bob? I don't recall what it was called, though. It was kind of like a sticking hands type of drill, I think.

Interestingly, you can do this same drill as a sticking hands drill, but I am not very good at it :P

Yes, we did, Brian!! What you and I did was just a basic trapping and sticky hand drills known as Tegumi Renzoku-geiko, aka, hand grappling flow drills, in which, you and I also did a few Yakusoku Kumite as well; they both flow, pun intended, together in training, yet, not exclusive to the floor: they transition to the street via muscle memory.

Interestingly, you can do this same drill as a sticking hands drill, but I am not very good at it :P

I appreciate you being humble; however, from what I've seen, and from what I saw in this threads video link, you've more than a basic understanding of said drill(s) within your grasp, pun intended.

In sticky hand drills, I'll give you this little tidbit that might help you, if you're willing to try and work through your doubts/fears. Here it is...

Don't be overly concerned with each and every "attack" by your training partner. When you do, you become disjointed quickly and end up at the losing end of the flow. Be aware, relax, and MEET each attack ONE AT A TIME. Don't react to what's "About" to happen because 'it' hasn't happened yet, it will, but not yet. When you free-style, if your style practices free-style, it's the same thing...be concerned with the "attack" that is at hand, and only that UNTIL, the next "attack" reveals itself to you.

Bottom line...don't get ahead of yourself!! Get the rhythm, and there is a rhythm to any flow drill, and address one "attack" at a time, and not before!!

You'll be fine!!