• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kyokshin at an older Age.

rhilllakefield

Hi guys, after years of being away from kyokushin (active in other karate and Jkd). I now live close to a school.

I'm healthy And injury free at 35 and am considering kyokushin again. Are there Any kyokushin guys into your 40s or 50s without major or lasting injury?

My next move will probably take me to the end of my martial arts career.

Any reason not to take kyokushin over the long run?

I just ran into an old instructor, and man....I miss it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi guys, after years of being away from kyokushin (active in other karate and Jkd). I now live close to a school.

I'm healthy And injury free at 35 and am considering kyokushin again. Are there Any kyokushin guys into your 40s or 50s without major or lasting injury?

My next move will probably take me to the end of my martial arts career.

Any reason not to take kyokushin over the long run?

I just ran into an old instructor, and man....I miss it.

I'm not a full-time formal training kyokushin practitioner, as I've cross-trained in it over many years, but I'm 57 years old with my core being Shindokan. I've no major or lasting injuries; I've been training in Shindokan for 50 years.

The bold type above, imho, answers your own question concerning if there are "Any reason to not take kyokushin over the long run?" If the desire to train in kyokushin is that strong and you're not experiencing any major or lasting injuries that would strongly prevent you from pursuing your desires, then I say, GO FOR IT!!

Listen to your doctor and listen to your body!!

I mean, this might speak to your uneasiness...

https://www.kyokushinkaikan.org/en/news2012/10/83-year-old-super-granny-tests-for-4th-dan.html

Anyway, I wish you success on and off the floor!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm 36, and don't think its an "older age." :) I think that as long as you express your concerns to the instructor, and listen to your body, you should be able to train. Go for it!

To add my 2cents: the majority of the karateka who i currently train alongside are in their 30's and 40's, and have reported no such injuries. To top that all off, a Sensei of mine is in his 60's, with another in his 50's. All are super fit.

The only thing i can imagine you would need to consider is giving more time to your warmups to minimise risk of injury.

Osu

• 3 months later...

Hehehehehehehe!!!

Kyokushin since I was 18...I'm not 18 any more! :D

...mind you I'm still good looking and debonair!

:spitlaugh:

Forty something ...I forget now :lol: ...getting senile in my old age! :lol:

I've completed my novice level requirements for a year or so now and qualify as an Open fighter!

I might have one or two more tournaments, then retire to be honest ... recovery is taking longer and longer after each fight!

LOL!

.... looking to grade shodan this year!

(Before I turn 40 something that much closer to 50!) :D

I took a break for about 15 years or so and ... well like you I missed it and had reason to come back a few years ago, there is just something about Kyokushin ... it gets into your soul!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.