• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Omo Plata from Spider Guard Recap

Hey all, it's Halloween but we're still at it! Tonight we finished up our rotation thru the open guard. This week, we accomplished this with the Spider Guard. It's a position I love, it's super fun, and a bit elegant. Yes, I'll step out and call it that :)

For the recap, we focus on hitting the omo plata from here after a transition from closed guard. Again, there's a ton of fundamental movement concealed it what looks to be an advanced movement. It is, don't get me wrong, an advanced movement. But even newer people start to learn some important concepts from it. Hip control, distancing, center line, and isolation just to name a few.

I know that there are strong feelings, pro and con, often backed up with good arguments about the omo. I'm fine with everyone venting them here. I can explain my positions about it's use and utility and I don't really think either side is wrong or right. But if you have those feelings, either way, vent them and we'll see where the discussion leads.

Here's our recap:

Enjoy!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another great tutorial, Alex!! Always covering the fundamentals through and through!!

As with any grappling transitions and the like, a lot of practitioners, especially beginners forget to properly address that their opponent is going to attempt to counter each and every movement, i.e., found in this, and in any tutorial, will not always work out in normal speed.

In the tutorial of any technique and in any transitions, things work out during training drills as well as in step by step run-throughs that are being done at a meticulous speed for the sake of learning it. However, at normal speed, especially when learning a new transitional movement, one's opponent is going to attempt to thwart every transitional movement.

That's to be expected, and that's to be understood, and that's to be trained upon so one can counter the counter and STILL successfully complete the intended transition.

In this tutorial, the hardest, imho, is maintaining it to the end,...is placing one foot, and then the other foot into the opponents arms in order to prepare for the very next transition. Time on the floor, lessens ones frustration at this segment!! Will it work out each and every time? No, but the percentages of success are greatly improved over time, but things to happen and any grappler knows that, and in that, they're prepared for things to not quite work out so well. Recovering a momentary loss of transitional control is crucially imperative...recover it without pause, and if it's not possible, quickly change into a different transition all together because one movement leads to another movement, and so on and so forth, until the upper hand is yours, and not of your opponents. Sometimes, giving up one transition for another is part of...

Study your opponent...study yourself...make a plan...carry it out!!

That's why, there are more than just one way to skin a cat. Plan 'A' don't work, then go to plan 'B', and so on and so forth to control segmental transitions of our opponent's body.

Center line, distancing, hip control, and isolation, and then some, as you've mentioned, are doable, and to be so, imho, omo is not an exception, preparation of hidden changes should be heightened during the transitions.

That's the beauty of live training versus static slow non-resistive training. Discoveries are made, therefore, corrections are achieved on the floor/mat!!

Again, Alex, great tutorial!! I'm now starting to see why you've opted to NOT showing the recap at full/normal speed. Keep up the great work.

Off topic, again, sorry, but you're filming this with a GoPro camera? I've got to get me one. Come on Santa!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Again nice video. Very basic yet very informative. I like your transition to the omoplata from there. You thought you'd mention the omoplata sweep as an option, which is a personal favorite from that position. Also going to the triangle is much easier from the spider guard. I just had some problems sweeping from the spider guard since I tend to run out of leg being on the shorter side. But I look forward to your videos I'm always learning little tricks to put in my bag. Thanks again for sharing.

That was a very interesting position. Thanks for sharing that. I don't have enough experience to really offer much on the omo, but I've noticed that when I have done it from the guard position, I have trouble really sitting up into it. Perhaps its just a matter of getting used to it. I also have short legs, so I don't know if the omo is better for longer-legged individuals or not.

This is arguable way above my grappling pay grade at this point, but perhaps in the future I can play with it a little.

Brian for the setting up fist you have to secure their body as Tallgeese mentions to stop them from stepping over or rolling out. Then you scoot away to break them down while sitting up. you have to get up on your hand furthest away from you opponent and keep scooting until they are broken down which is the hardest thing. And the speed and downward force of your legs going into the omoplate from guard will help your sitting up. Also Brian I use the omoplata sweep a lot I was referring to the short legs with the spider guard.

Brian for the setting up fist you have to secure their body as Tallgeese mentions to stop them from stepping over or rolling out. Then you scoot away to break them down while sitting up. you have to get up on your hand furthest away from you opponent and keep scooting until they are broken down which is the hardest thing. And the speed and downward force of your legs going into the omoplate from guard will help your sitting up. Also Brian I use the omoplata sweep a lot I was referring to the short legs with the spider guard.
I'm not sure what the omo sweep is. I don't think I've seen it before.