• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attacks by Combination Week Recap

Hey everyone, despite a busy week outside of the gym, we've manage to get our review done on time and up. This week was all about Attacking by Combination. It's a common theme in all martial arts but I'm most familiar with it due to my time exploring JKD as one of their primary methods of attack. It has every bit the same application in BJJ as well. Here's a look at one of our drills this week from the mount position:

The focus really is on the body mechanics of the transitions, however, some detail at each sub is important as well to my mind. Enjoy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Again, great video Tallgeese. Details, details, and more details. Grapevining the far leg is something I don't think I've seen before, or at least don't recall. And I can see where that blocks the roll. Thank you much for these sir. A "safe place" to watch video on technique for BJJ in a sea of sketchy stuff.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Thank you, ShoriKid. I appreciate the feed back and are glad that you find them useful. Yeah, the grapevine is useful in this application for sure. I always like to stress the positional component of just about everything I do. That's what will be there to set up subs, if subs are lost, ect.

I'm trying to shore up my positional thinking instead of attacking from where ever I land. Balancing good position with passing opportunities, just not there yet. Time and reps.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The hip of the grapeving leg can also be driven down to lock your opponent's hips down. Also I really like that you teach the bent arm and straight arm lock together. This combo you can go back and forth between untill you catch them. And on checking the shoulder I prefer to check at my shin as I like to go for the Omoplata from there.

You also do an excellent job of explaining the the "S" mount. Another solid video. Thank you sir.

The hip of the grapeving leg can also be driven down to lock your opponent's hips down. Also I really like that you teach the bent arm and straight arm lock together. This combo you can go back and forth between untill you catch them. And on checking the shoulder I prefer to check at my shin as I like to go for the Omoplata from there.

You also do an excellent job of explaining the the "S" mount. Another solid video. Thank you sir.

Thanks, pitbull! The S mount can be tricky to explain and I've fumbled it my share of times, believe me :lol:

Some times it clicks, some times it fails to. It's hard to read an audience in front of you on this one, let alone on line. Glad you liked it. I'd really like to see your transition to omoplata from there as it's always been a difficult attack for me from there. Let me know if you every put something to video on it!