• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Golden Anniversary!!

sensei8

Congrats on this milestone, Bob! You are a great Martial Artist, and a great friend!

Thank you for your kind words, Brian!! More importantly, I thank you for your friendship, in and out of the MA. And more than ever before, now that the celebration is done, my goal for 2015 is...

Sharing the floor with you once again because once, isn't ever enough!! So, hell or high water, I'll be coming to Hays, KS in 2015, God willing!!

Your friend, in and out of the MA!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. Great history lesson as well.

Thank you, ps1, for your kind words. Making the history was meaningful, however, without Dai-Soke to share in it, the journey, while complete with him in my MA life, the emptiness I feel at times is filled with many members here at KF...thank you, ps1.

Congrats and thanks for your contributions. It's great to have someone with your experiences here on the forum.

Thank you, hammer, for your many kind words. My contributions here are only existent because of the many wonderful and knowledgeable KF members here. For me, without you and members like you, I'd be doing more reading than contributing to the many vast topics we've shared ever since I've been here. Thank you!!

• 1 year later...
Congrats on this milestone, Bob! You are a great Martial Artist, and a great friend!

Thank you for your kind words, Brian!! More importantly, I thank you for your friendship, in and out of the MA. And more than ever before, now that the celebration is done, my goal for 2015 is...

Sharing the floor with you once again because once, isn't ever enough!! So, hell or high water, I'll be coming to Hays, KS in 2015, God willing!!

Your friend, in and out of the MA!!

To the bold type above...

Bummer...I messed that one up; sorry, Brian!! I'm STILL trying to work this out for us!!

:blush:

Sensei8, Was your Dai Soke a Godan in 1956. I'm guessing that was pretty impressive for the time since he'd be what 24? Did he start the martial arts at a young age like yourself?

Teachers are always learning

Sensei8, Was your Dai Soke a Godan in 1956.

Yes.

I'm guessing that was pretty impressive for the time since he'd be what 24?

Yes, he was 24, just a few months shy of his 25th birthday. Impressive? That might be true, depending on whom one asks.

Did he start the martial arts at a young age like yourself?

Yes. He was 8 years old.

Born: 1932

Started training with Soke: 1940

Shodan: 1946 [16 years of age]

Godan: 1956 [24 years of age]

JBB wasn't established until Soke wrote the By-Laws in 1957. Soke only had one student his entire life in Takahashi Sensei until they both moved to the USA, and the only child that Soke ever taught to was Takahashi Sensei at the tender age of 8 years old.

I, too, always thought, even now, that Takahashi Sensei's Shodan was quite earned at quite a young age...but...I never questioned Soke and/or Dai-Soke as to that because that would've been rude and crude and would've not received by either quite well...to say the least.

Shoot, I was at the tender age of 27 when I earned my Godan from Takahashi Sensei. Earned my Hachidan at 44, just 3 months shy of my 45th birthday in 2002. I started when I was 7 years old; having been born in 1957.

Soke didn't bow to what other styles have decided as acceptable tenures, not even the slightest. Soke made the rules, and that's the bottom line!! Does our youthfulness as Hachidan's seem wrong and ineffective? One would have to decide for themselves, but not until one's stepped on the floor to see for themselves.

Yes.

Yes, he was 24, just a few months shy of his 25th birthday. Impressive? That might be true, depending on whom one asks.

Yes. He was 8 years old.

JBB wasn't established until Soke wrote the By-Laws in 1957. Soke only had one student his entire life in Takahashi Sensei until they both moved to the USA, and the only child that Soke ever taught to was Takahashi Sensei at the tender age of 8 years old.

I, too, always thought, even now, that Takahashi Sensei's Shodan was quite earned at quite a young age...but...I never questioned Soke and/or Dai-Soke as to that because that would've been rude and crude and would've not received by either quite well...to say the least.

Shoot, I was at the tender age of 27 when I earned my Godan from Takahashi Sensei. Earned my Hachidan at 44, just 3 months shy of my 45th birthday in 2002. I started when I was 7 years old; having been born in 1957.

Soke didn't bow to what other styles have decided as acceptable tenures, not even the slightest. Soke made the rules, and that's the bottom line!! Does our youthfulness as Hachidan's seem wrong and ineffective? One would have to decide for themselves, but not until one's stepped on the floor to see for themselves.

Nothing wrong with it. Proof. Is on the floor. Now you said your Dai Soke's son got promoted to Judan from Nanadan. If he was an 18 year old shodan would they have skipped him to 10th or no?

Teachers are always learning

Yes.

Yes. He was 8 years old.

Nothing wrong with it. Proof. Is on the floor. Now you said your Dai Soke's son got promoted to Judan from Nanadan. If he was an 18 year old shodan would they have skipped him to 10th or no?

NO!!