• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can Jhoon Rhee Students compete in ITF tournaments

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be honest, I would approach your TKD school of choice and see what they say. Depending on the organisation/club/instructor the outcome can be either way.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Depends what you want to do and what school you're at. From what I've seen, Jhoon Rhee's styles seems to be quite different from ITF. Some schools will let you transfer in and honour your grade (if your skills match the level they are looking for from a 1st dan). I doubt it would cause any problems if you were interested in competing locally or nationally so long as you join and become a member of the appropriate national body. But the instructor might hold you at your grade until you learn all of the ITF patterns and terminology and learn to move in the "correct" way.

Anything beyond local level and you probably would have to retest up and get an ITF certificate and certificate number.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Depends what you want to do and what school you're at. From what I've seen, Jhoon Rhee's styles seems to be quite different from ITF. Some schools will let you transfer in and honour your grade (if your skills match the level they are looking for from a 1st dan). I doubt it would cause any problems if you were interested in competing locally or nationally so long as you join and become a member of the appropriate national body. But the instructor might hold you at your grade until you learn all of the ITF patterns and terminology and learn to move in the "correct" way.

Anything beyond local level and you probably would have to retest up and get an ITF certificate and certificate number.

This. Do some checking with the school you want to go to, and see what it takes to get into the competition. If you are looking into ITF specific tournaments, you are going to need to do the form the way they do them, with sine wave and all that. I don't know if Jhoon Rhee does them that way or not.

I also thought that Jhoon Rhee made his own forms, and did those for his students. Or does he still do the ITF forms? I'm interested to know. Please let us know!

While my school has new forms, our techniques are from ITF style, which is why I thought I might be able to keep my black belt.

In that case you will probably have to start over, but you'll advance quicly because the material will be familair.

While my school has new forms, our techniques are from ITF style, which is why I thought I might be able to keep my black belt.

Honesty you'd probably be best starting over but I would imagine that once you've got the different nuances in movement down you'd pick it up pretty quickly. Might even be offered the opportunity to skip or double grades.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Honesty you'd probably be best starting over but I would imagine that once you've got the different nuances in movement down you'd pick it up pretty quickly. Might even be offered the opportunity to skip or double grades.

That will be up to the governing body...ask them!! If not, rank isn't that important, or it shouldn't be, imho...training hard is paramount!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This. Do some checking with the school you want to go to, and see what it takes to get into the competition. If you are looking into ITF specific tournaments, you are going to need to do the form the way they do them, with sine wave and all that. I don't know if Jhoon Rhee does them that way or not.

I also thought that Jhoon Rhee made his own forms, and did those for his students. Or does he still do the ITF forms? I'm interested to know. Please let us know!

Solid post!!

Sine wave...I'm of the opinion that sine wave lacks many elements...if I had to join any MA that supports sine wave, I'd reconsider it. No ones shown me the positive of the sine wave. That's my two-cents about the sine wave!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Did you use the sine wave motion when you were in Jhoon Rhee's school?