• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

##

Shojiko

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm familiar with the style, but I couldn't tell you anything about its modern practice. Konishi Yasuhiro, the founder of Shindo-Jinen-Ryu, did a lot of cross-training, and probably knew a great deal. That said, I think he also filtered it through his Shotokan training. For an interesting look at the style, back when Konishi was in his prime, you can download his Karate Nyumon from the University of Hawaii:

http://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10524/1076

It's in Japanese, but there are lots of pictures. He also included photos from Mabuni Kenwa's book on Seipai, and Motobu Choki's books.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I don't know much more about Shindo Jinen Ryu than you already know, but Mina's great! She competes on an international level and really seems to care about coaching, but what I really like is her sense of humor. Not sure how much of that shows up in the dojo though. She's relatively young, but she's a 2nd generation karateka with a lot of experience. Her father is Kiyoshi Yamazaki, a long-time leader in the JKR organization.

Another notable JKR leader is Junki Yoshida who's also known for Mr. Yoshida's Marinade and Cooking Sauce. I hear he's a very interesting character.

I'm surprised that you say good dojos are hard to find near you. I'm not sure how near you mean, but I know of many in the Orange County area. A few senseis off the top of my head are Fumio Demura, Chad Eagan, Akira Fukuda, and Paul Godshaw.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com