• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

##

Shojiko

It's slightly different from me, as I have Sjogrens (so my joints are affected anyway).

However in a lot of Shotokan associations that I've trained in, the foot positioning plays a lot with joints - which I didn't actually realise until after I started Tang Soo Do, this in turn has made it easier on my joints. Added to this, it is very similar to Shotokan karate to begin with.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think Shotokan might actually be what tore my meniscus. It only gave me problems doing kata until it eventually popped.

I would still say that it wasn't Shotokan that was to blame, the technique needs to be correct and also matched to your exact body shape etc. This is when some people get fixated on teaching exact feet position because that's what it is supposed to be - rather than checking the best scientific position or allowing for peoples different body shape etc.

Once the legs are strong and the stances follow the move that you are doing rather than leading the move, then you can have a taller stance and find a more natural position. If you start late in life or already have injuries or problems then I see no problem in adjusting stances to fit the person.

Speak with your instructor about your physical limitations with your knee to see what he can do to accommodate you. Always speak to your CI!!

Good luck!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

*snip*

the technique needs to be correct

*snip*

You can say that again! Being an absolute novice and practicing roundhouse and side kicks for the first time has allowed me to discover muscles I didn't even know I had. The last two sessions at the dojo have been hell on the knees and whatever that muscle is called at the top of the inner thigh but I know it's only because I haven't yet got my technique correct as when I do get my technique right, not only does the move feel far better to execute, there's no pain at all.

Although I can hardly move my legs out to the side, so to speak, forward movement is not impeded, so although it's painful to walk sometimes right now, I did a 13km cycle yesterday no trouble at all! :lol:

"The technique needs to be correct" - too true!

:)

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.

I have started karate in my mid-late 30s, with prior knee issues from the pounding of the highland dancing I did in my teens and 20s. (Basically all jumping). When I first started karate, nearly a year ago, I did find that there was some knee pain. But I was just thinking the other day about how my knees have been so much better - - better even than between dancing and karate, when I had my kids and didn't really do much athletically. I go to a Shotokan school that also gives us a variety of other things - - a little grappling, a fair bit of weapons (higher grades mostly though), etc. on top of a good core of Shotokan karate. What I love the most is the variety of muscles we use. I've had to research on the internet to figure out which muscle was hurting - - I always thought it was basically calves, quads, hamstrings in the legs, biceps, triceps and forearms in the arms. But there are so many more wonderful places to feel pain...lol. My calves and quads were pretty strong from dance, but with karate I use such a wider variety of muscles that my joints are so much better taken care of. Everything seems to be working well in harmony, and my knees are so much happier. I am slowly trying to lower my stances - - I'm tall so I have a ways to go down - - but I'm really pleased by the way my knees not only are not feeling sore, but they are feeling better than ever. I am definitely a believer in using as wide as possible a variety of muscle groups, and my knees are the proof.

I must also add that technique is surely a factor as well. As my technique improved over the course of the year so did my knees. But since the technique aspect has been mentioned here I won't dwell on it any more than to say I agree.

So if your Shotokan school is anything like mine I would say stick with it, use those muscles, properly, and in a wide variety of ways. And enjoy the strength and longevity your body gains as a result!