• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's a great vid! I really like how you incorporate the footage of the technique at work. A couple of people have mentioned that and it's something I need to start doing. It really does make for a more dynamic video.

You hit some great details. I like the anchoring of the underhooking arm. That's something that gets overlooked. Also, for me, the emphasis you place on position to prevent the sweep is critical. Particularly for a pass like this. It's easy to get caught up in the movement and forget the structure. You're not doing that at all and it's great. That's, to me, what makes quality jiu jitsu!

Nice job! I look forward to seeing more.

TJ-Jitsu that title is correct as I'm a co-of owner of said school and the holder of dan ranking in the main system taught by the school. That being said you will notice I am wearing a blue belt which is the rank I've earned in Brazilian Jui Jitsu. I wear that belt when teaching BJJ so that I show respect to the given art I'm teaching for the night. And these videos are mostly for my students to review.

Tallgeese thanks for the kind words. I didn't always show the technique in action or from different angles as I found a small detail can be away from the camera's given angle. I came up with the idea of showing the technique from beginning to end without the breaks and talking to show the flow. I've recently liked the idea of showing it at speed or faster the showing in slow motion, this has come from seeing some high level guys do this on video and I just really like the concept.

The emphasis I place on this technique is the same things Luiz Palhares placed on it went he taught it to us last month at my BJJ gym. He was critical on the under hook as well as the knee pinch. And I take everything Master Palhares says to the bank since he on comes to the gym where I train a couple times a year.

TJ-Jitsu that title is correct as I'm a co-of owner of said school and the holder of dan ranking in the main system taught by the school. That being said you will notice I am wearing a blue belt which is the rank I've earned in Brazilian Jui Jitsu. I wear that belt when teaching BJJ so that I show respect to the given art I'm teaching for the night. And these videos are mostly for my students to review.

Tallgeese thanks for the kind words. I didn't always show the technique in action or from different angles as I found a small detail can be away from the camera's given angle. I came up with the idea of showing the technique from beginning to end without the breaks and talking to show the flow. I've recently liked the idea of showing it at speed or faster the showing in slow motion, this has come from seeing some high level guys do this on video and I just really like the concept.

The emphasis I place on this technique is the same things Luiz Palhares placed on it went he taught it to us last month at my BJJ gym. He was critical on the under hook as well as the knee pinch. And I take everything Master Palhares says to the bank since he on comes to the gym where I train a couple times a year.

Ohh, Im sorry. It took me a while to get this post. I thought Rusty meant rough and it was one of those ironic nicknames.... not your actual name. I wasn't critiquing the use of the term sensei or anything.

If you don't mind I'd like to suggest a detail...

Turn your underhooking arm upside down- so as to put your thumb in the belt. This will make it easier to step over (you wont be putting all that pressure on your shoulder) and it'll also do a great job of killing any attempted hip escape there after....

Not a problem TJ. As far as turning the hand down I'm teaching the technique as it was taught to me. I don't remember if I stated in the video I'm gripping the back of the collar to lock my partners upper body. And that grip gives me a fast transition back to top half guard if I have to bail on the move. But I'll try the hand placement you have suggested.

I liked it. I will try to keep this in mind when I get the half guard slapped on me. I am going to be adding your videos and tallgeese's videos to my youtube account, so I can view them when I need to!