• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best karate books you have read?

OleOle

I was reading a few posts on this gentleman's blog and with Mr Charles C. Goodin being the head of the Hawaiian Karate Museum, I naturally concluded that his observations would be very interesting and especially pertinent to a new karateka like me:

http://karatejutsu.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/the-best-karate-book-i-have-read-in.html

So far I haven't read that many books on karate and apart from reading more generalist titles from the public library (some of which have been very informative and helpful), the only one I personally own is a copy of "Bubishi: The Classic Manual of Combat" by Patrick McCarty:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Bubishi-Patrick-McCarthy/9780804838283

Anyway, I decided to take Mr Goodin's advice and purchased his recommendation "The Study of China Hand Techniques" by Morinobu Itoman and also bought "Karate Kenpo: The Art of Self-defense

By Kenwa Mabuni"; both and others available here:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bechurinatgmaildotcom

So it made me wonder what members of this forum thought were good books on karate and if you have any favourites?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and recommendations you might have please.

Thanks very much.

:)

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As it turns out, we already have an extensive list of recommended reading over in the General Martial Arts section. You can find it here: http://www.karateforums.com/martial-arts-research-library-vt8082.html

Goodin Sensei is very knowledgeable, and passionate about karate history. I'm glad we have him in the world! With regards to the books you mention, I own McCarthy Sensei's Bubishi, and Itoman's book, as well as having a digital copy of the original Japanese edition of Mabuni's book. They are all excellent resources (I'm sure the English version of Mabuni's book is more helpful, of course), and great to have in your collection.

One thing I will say about Itoman's book, is that it doesn't make nearly as much sense if you haven't been exposed to old-school Ti/Te methods. From a modern karate perspective, some of what he shows seems quite strange. The photos also show more space between him and his uke than would actually be there, so you can see what he is doing. Unfortunately, those photos are also VERY small, so it's still kind of hard to see some of the details. It's still a great reference, though, and explains some Ti/Te concepts that aren't all that well-known to the karate world, anymore.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I personally recommend "Living the Martial Way." It's amazing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks very much for your recommendations guys and letting me know about the extensive library thread. There's many of the what I'd call generic philosophical Eastern books that I've read on that thread (and a whole range of books that I haven't) and I suppose what prompted my topic above was seeing that Goodin Sensei felt able to say that one karate book was his favourite, were any members here also able to choose a favourite, as I think a book has to be exceptional (in any genre) for someone to nominate it as their favourite or "best".

Really appreciate your time and answers, thanks very much.

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Apologies for the double post, but just wanted to ask, is the book you recommend this one please?:

"Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way a Modern Warrior Should Think" by Forrest E. Morgan

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Martial-Way-Manual-Warrior/dp/0942637763

Thanks very much.

I find it very difficult to pick a single favorite of ANYTHING, let alone karate books :P. If I had to pick, I would say that "My Journey with the Grandmaster" by Bill Hayes is probably my favorite martial arts book, for entertainment and philosophy purposes.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'm not really into martial arts books, but I read "The Book of Five Rings" and thought it was subtle and very profound. As a general martial arts book, you can't beat "The Way of the Warrior - the paradox of the martial arts." It's the most interesting book on the subject that I have read.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Apologies for the double post, but just wanted to ask, is the book you recommend this one please?:

"Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way a Modern Warrior Should Think" by Forrest E. Morgan

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Martial-Way-Manual-Warrior/dp/0942637763

Thanks very much.

Yes, that's it! I really liked it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Karate: The Art of Empty-Hand Fighting by Hidetaka Nishiyama and Richard Brown

And...

Lessons with the Master by Paul A. Walker

These two stand out, imho, and I'm not even a Shotokan karateka.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!