• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HEMA

Wastelander

I will admit that I grew up with an obsession with knights and dragons, so I've always had a soft spot for medieval European arms and armor. That may be why I have downloaded so many medieval fighting treatises to compare with karate--there is a LOT of overlap, by the way! Well, this weekend, I took a trip down to our local HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) club, and took an introductory lesson on Fiore dei Liberi's system of longsword fighting. Very interesting stuff, and the sparring looked like a ton of fun, although I didn't get the chance to try it. Anyone here have HEMA experience?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train in Western Tomahawk and Bowi Knife. I've also tried Gurkha Kukri training. Also some Viking weapons and some renaissance Rapier and Dagger work with the Sealed Knot English Civil War society. That's it as far as Western Historical work for me.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

YES! Check out Schola Saint George! They're dedicated to practicing Fiore's manuscripts. I've started in their system and I am having so much fun doing it. It's a good system that teaches some great stuff. For me, it's very relatable to EMA and my instructor equates it to the fact that our bodies can only do a finite amount of things so there will be overlap.

If you want more about Italian sword fighting you can check out the manuscripts of Fillipo Vadi.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I won't be able to train it with any regularity, but I do hope to make it down every now and then to work with them. Italian longsword has a LOT in common with karate, I found! The instructor and I actually joked about the body only moving so many ways, Zaine. Did you happen to see the same Naihanchi stuff that I did from the bind?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yes we did! The techniques done at close range both with and without a sword are so similar. I would not be surprised to find out that Fiore had some knowledge of karate.

I dont, but it has recently sparked interest with me.

I have practiced traditional Indian, Philippine and Japanese weapons for some time now, and have collected swords since i was young (talwar, machete, kris, bolo, katana as well as western hunting knives).

I recently found a medieval sword I have fallen in love with and am seriously thinking of purchasing it.

I find the point raised by Zaine interesting (regarding weapon to non-weapon overlap due to kinaesthetic restrictions), as this is largely a point raised in Arnis bridging the gap between empty hands, sticks and knives/swords.

Keen to hear more!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I've been studying HEMA for 5 years now. I too study Fiore Dei Liberi.

Fiore didn't know anything about Karate ;-) He was likely highly trained in grappling though.

That being said, Fiores system is remarkable clean and simple. Its based on 2 types of steps, 3 ways of turning and four basic body postures. Everything is derived from these basics. It is a highly consistant and seamlessly integrated system of fighting that allows one to use pretty much anything. Fiores system describes basic stand up grappling, fighting with a dagger, one and two handed sword use, in armour, ourt of armour, on horse and on foot. It describes spear, pollaxe and lance use. Fiore makes extensive use of grappling in his system. His unarmoured sword techniques are divided into 2 types, the gioccho largo and the gioccho stretto..the wide play and the short play.

(as an aside, one of places I practice in is a shotokan karate dojo..It is fascinating to watch thier kata, because thier Kata describes variations and transitions between the same four basic postas that fiore describes)

Some of his stuff

• 1 month later...

This is great stuff. I'd love to have a group nearby to work on this stuff. The closest thing to it here is with the ARMA, and most of those clubs I see are in Texas.

This is great stuff. I'd love to have a group nearby to work on this stuff. The closest thing to it here is with the ARMA, and most of those clubs I see are in Texas.

There are a lot of clubs around here. I'm not entirely sure why but I do know that we have an active SCA crowd throughout the state as well as Scarborough Faire. Other than that I don't know why so many develop in Texas but I am definitely not complaining.

There are a lot of clubs around here. I'm not entirely sure why but I do know that we have an active SCA crowd throughout the state as well as Scarborough Faire. Other than that I don't know why so many develop in Texas but I am definitely not complaining.

Lucky devil, you. But I can't fault you at all! We used to have a small but active SCA group, and we'd get together and have a good time sparring, but its not the same.