• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When Did You Know?!?

I knew she was "the one" the moment I met her ;)

In all seriousness, I've been interested in combative arts for as long as I can remember. Between Kung Fu Theatre the WWF and countless MA movies, I was hooked. My father and his brothers were TKD black belts when they were in Beirut, Lebanon in the 60s-70s. The TKD they practiced wasn't sport TKD; rather it was a lot like Kyokushin with some protective gear and a little more emphasis on head kicks. My uncles would spar with my cousins and I any chance they had. One uncle also wrestled Greco Roman and would wrestle with us too.

I started wrestling around 3rd grade, and stayed with it until I graduated high school. I loved it from the first day, or perhaps from the moment I heard about it and was given permission. I remember not being able to sleep the night before, like it was Christmas Eve.

I knew karate was for me when I saw what I assume was a Kyokushin demo when I was in 2nd grade. Guys were breaking stuff, fighting bare knuckle knockdown, doing some bo, sai, and katana. It was awesome. I begged my father to join, but he said it was "too aggressive." I guess it was his way of saying MA shouldn't be bare knuckle.

I started practicing karate at 18. My girlfriend at the time's mother ran a daycare and got a Sensei to let her and her daughter to train for free, and me to pay $25/month because she got about 12 kids and parents to sign up.

The night before my first class was exactly like the night before my first wrestling practice- like Christmas Eve.

I trained 4-5 nights a week, with most nights being back to back classes, for almost 7 years. I left to go to grad school, and life got in the way for 15 years. I don't regret my 15 year hiatus, but I definitely thought about when I'd be able to return just about every single day.

So again, it was love at first sight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic