• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to throw an overhand right hook? I just dont get it!

So there are many versions of the overhand this one is like a regular right hook except its an overhand it goes over and comes down onto the target.

1) Should my hips rotate the normal way ie parallel with the ground? Or do I bend one leg and rotate my hips diagonally down towards the ground?

2) Where does the arm start? Do you have to have it low like by your backside or can you throw it with your hands up? (the looping hook version of the overhand not a different version)

3) What arc does your fist and arm take? I dont get it. The hips are spinning horizontally and the arm takes like a rainbow arc diagonally over the top, feels like two different motions that done fit together

HELP

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

I'd say you'd want to start the punch from higher, and arc it down. I don't think your hips should try to rotate down, just rotate them like you would with a hook punch.

Don't exaggerate the arc. The punching arm only needs to clear the obstructive arm by mere centimeters and not by inches. Imho, the hips and the punching arm, well, the everything needs to start at the same time. Your hips are the driving source, but not the only source, to this technique.

Transition to the outside and let it fly!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'd say you'd want to start the punch from higher, and arc it down. I don't think your hips should try to rotate down, just rotate them like you would with a hook punch.
is it right?

I'm not sure if its "right." If it works, though, is it wrong?

• 1 year later...
So there are many versions of the overhand this one is like a regular right hook except its an overhand it goes over and comes down onto the target.

1) Should my hips rotate the normal way ie parallel with the ground? Or do I bend one leg and rotate my hips diagonally down towards the ground?

2) Where does the arm start? Do you have to have it low like by your backside or can you throw it with your hands up? (the looping hook version of the overhand not a different version)

3) What arc does your fist and arm take? I dont get it. The hips are spinning horizontally and the arm takes like a rainbow arc diagonally over the top, feels like two different motions that done fit together

HELP

A right hook is not an overhand, and an overhand is not a right hook....

An overhand is an option when your target is too close for a straight cross. You cant tuck your elbow in tight as you would in a cross, because your punch will be jammed. As such you open your elbow up so that you create space between your hand and shoulder (since its not between your hand and target...)

The rest of the punch mechanics stay the same. The side attacking goes forward and the side not is pulled back. The shoulder and hip movements for all punches are the same. This doesn't mean that other methods are "wrong" it simply means they're less efficient in terms of generating power and speed and minimizing the cost of energy.

So practice your shadow boxing by merely moving your hips and shoudlers (in sync) forward and backwards. Once you start to get the gist, then you can slowly start to include punches into the mix. Your hips and shoulders always do the same motion and always attack the same way (for reasons mentioned above). What changes is how your direct this power with your elbows. To the outside observer there becomes several types of punches, parries and attacks. Watch the fighters body on the other hand, and you'll see the gross motor movements stay exactly the same. That's where your money is. The rest is mere details.