• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to talk yourself into trouble.

I work as an advocate at our local University, and as I have a student card; I can join as many sports or pass time clubs as I like. It was at freshers week last week, and I joined the meet and greet session at the collage Ju Jitsu club. I walked into the Dojo and began to talk to some of the international students . I began a conversation with an American, he told me he was a veteran of the US Marine Corps. Ok, I thought he looked a little young, but there you go. He then told me that he was a black belt in Krav Maga. Now I know that in Krav Maga they don't award belts. He then told me that he had practiced Karate for ten years. I asked him what style of karate it was. "Karate you Dork, what other style is there?" Now this was rude and he was getting a little aggressive in his manner. Listening quietly to this conversation were two foreign looking karateka. I'd met them that afternoon, they were both Kaiokoshin Dan grades from Iran. I felt my heart start to beat faster, for the next five seconds these 3 guys stared at eachother. It was obvious that these two Arabs wanted a piece of the American. Thankfully, I could call over the Ju Jitsu Sempai and she led the Marine away. I spoke to the Iranians, I directed them to the Shotokan Sensei; I'll go and see how they will get along there next week. I wasn't expecting to be party to the start of WWIII in Bangor; I find it funny now, but I didn't at the time. I suppose it pays to keep your mouth shut in foreign Dojos.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I work as an advocate at our local University, and as I have a student card; I can join as many sports or pass time clubs as I like. It was at freshers week last week, and I joined the meet and greet session at the collage Ju Jitsu club. I walked into the Dojo and began to talk to some of the international students . I began a conversation with an American, he told me he was a veteran of the US Marine Corps. Ok, I thought he looked a little young, but there you go. He then told me that he was a black belt in Krav Maga. Now I know that in Krav Maga they don't award belts. He then told me that he had practiced Karate for ten years. I asked him what style of karate it was. "Karate you Dork, what other style is there?" Now this was rude and he was getting a little aggressive in his manner. Listening quietly to this conversation were two foreign looking karateka. I'd met them that afternoon, they were both Kaiokoshin Dan grades from Iran. I felt my heart start to beat faster, for the next five seconds these 3 guys stared at eachother. It was obvious that these two Arabs wanted a piece of the American. Thankfully, I could call over the Ju Jitsu Sempai and she led the Marine away. I spoke to the Iranians, I directed them to the Shotokan Sensei; I'll go and see how they will get along there next week. I wasn't expecting to be party to the start of WWIII in Bangor; I find it funny now, but I didn't at the time. I suppose it pays to keep your mouth shut in foreign Dojos.

Did he tell you he was a sniper too? You gotta love the imaginary snipers, 1st question I ask them is what regiment are they in = found out, can I buy you a drink friend (a manipulation so you dont rip on them) I like to reply with no thanks id much rather rip on you.

Some believe that to bring the warring mind to all situations is the only way to be a strong person. In reality, it takes far more strength to bring a peaceful mind into a conflict.

I am beginning to think of an excerpt from the book of 5 rings in which there is Musashi, a monk and a venomous snake....

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Some believe that to bring the warring mind to all situations is the only way to be a strong person. In reality, it takes far more strength to bring a peaceful mind into a conflict.

Solid post!

As a teenager this was a concept that I struggled with. It's very easy to get a complex when you're on the journey to become a MAist. You may think things such as "I am better than them because I am X kyu/dan and I have a deeper understanding of my body." You start to size up people and that's detrimental to the process. It's just one of those things that you have to learn the hard way most times. Just another part of the journey.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

We're either our best friend or our worse enemy....our mouth gets us in trouble that we hadn't planned upon, and our mouth gets us out of trouble, if we're fortunate enough.

I'd like to muzzle myself!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Krav Maga does award black belts. At least Krav Maga Worldwide does. Maybe some of the offshoots don't, but they do provide rank. The police instructor/defensive tactics courses though, do not.

It sounds like you did a good job of de-escalating the situation there. Hopefully, these fellows will come to understand each other in the future.

Hello,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com.

Unfortunately, we removed a couple of posts from this thread in error. These posts are included below. I apologize for the error.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Nobody who has practiced any sort of Karate (or even MA) should be aggressive or loud. I think any serious MAists nearby would have had their hackles up at this point as well.

Young people stating they have "veteran" military experience also p***es me off having served.

My personal view of Krav Magna is taking the realistic applications of advanced Kata and making a "new" system out of it and selling it to the masses.

Proof is on the floor though so next time get them to spar and see how long the loud ones last...

My personal view of Krav Magna is taking the realistic applications of advanced Kata and making a "new" system out of it and selling it to the masses.

I'm a little confused by this line, true Krav Maga has some karate influences and has incorporated many others over the years, but it originated from the boxing and wrestling experience of imi lichtenfield.

No problem Patrick - it would have been much easier and more sensible for me to say something like annoyed... sometimes a nerve is touched so the fingers type quicker than the brain can think.

To answer Guird, this is only my opinion and based on my experience of Karate and what I've seen of Krav Magna, I have recognised several applications from Karate Kata used in their system but some I have seen is where they have marketed it as "theirs" when it is clearly taken from other systems.

There are only a certain amount of ways you can block/strike/arm lock someone so there will always be a crossover between styles. I have a few issues with their system where you would have to be fairly strong or of a similar height/strength to defeat the attacker - a lot of Martial Arts are based on a weaker or smaller person inflicting pain on an attacker. When you hear/see things like grab their arm and twist like this - even I've got larger students that I would struggle to do this against.

Only my experience, but limited experience. If it works then use it.