• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira round kicks and spinning hook kicks more powerful?

SpeedKills

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best thing to do is study several kicks and then kick a punchbag, but after study you may find that certain people can kick more powerfully with their best kicks so its impossible to say that some kicks are more powerful than others.

The best thing to do is study several kicks and then kick a punchbag, but after study you may find that certain people can kick more powerfully with their best kicks so its impossible to say that some kicks are more powerful than others.

I disagree, everyone's crescent kick will always be weaker than everyone's spinning side kick, unless a person is terrible/brilliant at one or the other. So it is safe to say that the spinning side kick technique is more powerful than the crescent kick.

Power has to be achieved, and in that, power isn't dependent on the style, but on the practitioner.

Imho!!

:)

Its dependent on both.

I disagree. Why? Without the practitioner, there is no style, and vice versa!!

Beyond that...I truly believe that anything effective has to be dependent on the practitioners ability to execute said technique(s) properly to achieve desired effect. Beyond that, as well, let's not forget the other reason why a technique isn't as effective...our opponent.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There are variations in technique that can produce differences in power. For example a Thai round kick uses larger muscles and pushes more body weight into the movement than the standard TKD technique.

That said a 6ft 300lb male power lifter will get more force into the TKD kick than a 90lb female Thai boxer.

Equally a ten yr TKD vet will likely kick harder than his twin after only 1 yr of TKD.

Power alone is only one factor in a martial encounter, there are many other reasons to keep a particular technique variation.

Power has to be achieved, and in that, power isn't dependent on the style, but on the practitioner.

Imho!!

I completely agree and would add that it also depends on the application of the kick. Therefore I don't see the point in comparing power between a crescent and a spinning side kick. They are totally different kicks meant to be used in very different situations. So both are powerful in their own way. That applies to the Muay Thai kick and all strikes for that matter. IMHO :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Another problem with trying to use direct comparison is that we develop our muscles and coordination along the line of our individual practice.

There is no objective way to properly compare methods other than to devote equal time and energy to developing our use of them. In this regard I agree with Sensei8.

There are variations in technique that can produce differences in power. For example a Thai round kick uses larger muscles and pushes more body weight into the movement than the standard TKD technique.

That said a 6ft 300lb male power lifter will get more force into the TKD kick than a 90lb female Thai boxer.

Equally a ten yr TKD vet will likely kick harder than his twin after only 1 yr of TKD.

Power alone is only one factor in a martial encounter, there are many other reasons to keep a particular technique variation.

This is more or less my position. there are a lot of factors that contribute to the power of a practitioner's technique, which variation of the technique they use is one of them.