• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sIGNS OF A GOOD STRIKE?

What are the signs to look for when you throw a good quality strike rather than a push?

So far I have noticed a central fugal force in the hand (pain) where all the blood/ pressure goes into your hand when your strike is fast enough.

The bag makes a bang sound. Not a dull thud. The more of a bang/ loud violent crack the faster the strike I believe?

The bag jumps and frenzy wobbles in place, it doesnt do a big swing like with a push.

You can see the energy go through the bag rather than into it, you cant actually see it but you kinda can by understanding whats happening during a good/bad strike, and seeing by how the bag reacts.

The strike will be impressively fast if it is powerful, and it cant be fast alone it has to have weight behind it too.

You tell me the signs to look out for, for a good quality strike.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It can get confusing because if the bag is too light it will always swing a massive amount/ get launched/ bounce.

If the bag is filled to soft/little or the gloves you are using are too padded, or the material doesnt make noise easily, again its less likely to produce noise and more likely that you will push, the punch just gets softened/cushioned and slowed too much before any kind of impact is made.

So im looking for reliable ways to make sure you are striking in a high quality way.

Edited by SpeedKills

Intent and reaction;

1. You must have intent behind the blow; karate starts with the mind.

2. It must elicit a meaningful and energetic reaction.

Effectiveness from striking comes in versatility and adaptability. In terms of percussive techniques and exchanges, the range, speed, and angle are the most fluid of all fighting ranges. There is no perfect “Master blow”, although one may argue the perfect tsuki would see the transfer of all power, with out the impression of movement on contact. This would, in other words; mean breaking the laws of physics.

I would say the essence of effective striking is Zentai Ryoku. Muchimi, Mochimi, Chinkuchi, and Gamaku are the concepts I am currently exploring as the building blocks of Zentai Ryoku.

Still; I refer back to versatility. Being able to “push” well, is as important as creating the more violent jump and wobble reaction. They are different reactions to transferring energy, and both should be explored. What I look for is energetic reactions, rather than the manner of reaction; and to also have command over the reaction produced. If I am looking for a push, I should see a push, and conversely if I am looking for a wobble I need to see a wobble. Consistency is the key to said exploration.

Edit: Did not see your second post before posting my own. To reiterate; you need to look for consistency, after asking your self what you want out of the strike. Plus; if a bag is too light, and is becoming unreliable as a measure, all you can do is get a heavier bag.

I can't speak much on gloves, I don't really use them outside of sparring. I prefer to just use wraps on the bags.

R. Keith Williams

Intent and reaction;

1. You must have intent behind the blow; karate starts with the mind.

2. It must elicit a meaningful and energetic reaction.

Effectiveness from striking comes in versatility and adaptability. In terms of percussive techniques and exchanges, the range, speed, and angle are the most fluid of all fighting ranges. There is no perfect “Master blow”, although one may argue the perfect tsuki would see the transfer of all power, with out the impression of movement on contact. This would, in other words; mean breaking the laws of physics.

I would say the essence of effective striking is Zentai Ryoku. Muchimi, Mochimi, Chinkuchi, and Gamaku are the concepts I am currently exploring as the building blocks of Zentai Ryoku.

Still; I refer back to versatility. Being able to “push” well, is as important as creating the more violent jump and wobble reaction. They are different reactions to transferring energy, and both should be explored. What I look for is energetic reactions, rather than the manner of reaction; and to also have command over the reaction produced. If I am looking for a push, I should see a push, and conversely if I am looking for a wobble I need to see a wobble. Consistency is the key to said exploration.

Edit: Did not see your second post before posting my own. To reiterate; you need to look for consistency, after asking your self what you want out of the strike. Plus; if a bag is too light, and is becoming unreliable as a measure, all you can do is get a heavier bag.

I can't speak much on gloves, I don't really use them outside of sparring. I prefer to just use wraps on the bags.

Solid post, the entire post!!

I wholeheartedly concur with the bold type above!!

I also want to see that said strike is solid and unwavering; hence, the target gives and not the core of the strike/any technique.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Dare I say but tameshiwari is pretty good indication. You cannot push your way through a house brick. Either you're striking right or you're striking wrong; you'll soon find out which it is!!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Tameshiwari is a good indicator; if you do it sincerely and make sure it is a valid test of your striking ability. General rule of thumb; work with physics, but don't make physics do the work!

Depends on what you are concerned about though; many materials have a different quality to the human body. Wood is pretty good, as it has a balance of rigidity and flex, not at all dissimilar to the structure of the human body. A brick is more dense, but brittle, and so the breaking level can be deceptive. It can be very easy to "cheat" if you just know what to look for, and just from worry of injuring your self it can become tempting to take it easy on yourself.

Tameshiwari is as much a test of spirit and sincerity as it is technical proficiency. It will not help if you cheat yourself, but at the same time the risk of injury can set you back.

I do it myself; but it really is not for everyone, and though I would advise researching it, do not attempt without supervision and certainty it will help you with where you want to go.

R. Keith Williams

A good strike doesn't have to have power, it just depends on the target. If you form the body weapon properly and you execute the strike from the ground up ergonomically and with focus, it will work. The danger is that if it is untested and you end up threatened in a real situation; finding out that your technique is ineffective could be very costly.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Dare I say but tameshiwari is pretty good indication. You cannot push your way through a house brick. Either you're striking right or you're striking wrong; you'll soon find out which it is!!

I wholeheartedly concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...
A good strike doesn't have to have power, it just depends on the target. If you form the body weapon properly and you execute the strike from the ground up ergonomically and with focus, it will work. The danger is that if it is untested and you end up threatened in a real situation; finding out that your technique is ineffective could be very costly.

I agree with this and as a result its difficult to say what one means by "good strike."

Like the old adage goes, its the punch you don't see that knocks you out- not necessarily the hardest one.

What qualifies as a good strike? I'd say you'd have to first determine what your intent is and under what conditions its being thrown. A powerful strike that doesn't land or is blocked is not as good as one that does land, but is much less damaging.

In general I'd say a deciding factor for me is whether or not the strike is telegraphed and again, this kind of returns us to whether or not something is landing.

Food for thought- I see plenty of people that come to the gym and can wail on a heavy bag- they can make it move all over the place and the sound resonates throughout the gym- but some of these guys get in the ring/cage and have no power behind their actual strikes because they've no idea how to move, balance themselves, chain their attacks, or follow and hit a moving target (that's also trying to hit them).

I have other opinions on this, but others have covered some of those points.