• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spinning hook kick, is it worth adding the hook at the end?

SpeedKills

Why not just spin and stiff leg it? Get all the power from the torque of the body and not add the hook kick leg action to the kick?

To me it seems like adding the hook portion of the leg at the end of the spin, actually reduces the power of this kick, it would be like throwing a straight right punch with the hips and then extending the arm with the tri cep instead of keeping the arm loose and letting the arm get flung by the hips/shoulders. It kinda reduces the power and breaks the flow of power from the hips.

Am I doing it wrong is it more powerful the traditional way, with the hooking motion at the end, and I am somehow messing it up? Why is the traditional way more powerful?

(I accept I am probably wrong just want to know why)

A proper spinning hook kick you spin AND you do a hook kick with your leg.

What im doing is ONLY spinning and keeping my leg straight and it connects with the heel, but the power is solely coming from the bodies rotation.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suppose every club/style will be different, but in my club we have two ways of doing Ushiro-mawashigeri (jodan). There's the standard way for grading, where there's no spinning involved, it's just done from hidari shizentai, step forward with the right and bring your left up and over to the right slightly, then swing it out to the left and add the hook at the end of the movement, slapping the target with the sole of the foot. This is also the only way we're allowed to do it in competition, the 360 spin is far to dangerous.

Then there's the 360 version for "shutting folk down", we do this with a straight leg during the spin and hit the target with the heel, a truly devastating blow. We don't tend to add the hook on at the end, but are told if proper contact isn't made with the target, then the hook can be added on to kind of wrap the leg round the back of the targets head/neck and pull them down to the ground with the leg. My instructor says there is no right or wrong way of doing a technique, as in, "if it works, it's right, if it doesn't work, then there's always something you can do to make it right".

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Why not just spin and stiff leg it? Get all the power from the torque of the body and not add the hook kick leg action to the kick?

To me it seems like adding the hook portion of the leg at the end of the spin, actually reduces the power of this kick, it would be like throwing a straight right punch with the hips and then extending the arm with the tri cep instead of keeping the arm loose and letting the arm get flung by the hips/shoulders. It kinda reduces the power and breaks the flow of power from the hips.

Am I doing it wrong is it more powerful the traditional way, with the hooking motion at the end, and I am somehow messing it up? Why is the traditional way more powerful?

(I accept I am probably wrong just want to know why)

A proper spinning hook kick you spin AND you do a hook kick with your leg.

What im doing is ONLY spinning and keeping my leg straight and it connects with the heel, but the power is solely coming from the bodies rotation.

They're different techniques to my knowledge, one is a spinning hook kick and the other a spinning heel kick. Both are acceptable, I do feel the spinning hook kick is less powerful, but it's more deceptive and slightly faster. It's also more difficult I think, because if you do it even slightly wrong the strength of your leg becomes a limiting factor like you said.

Imo, yes, it's worth adding the hook at the end.

If not, then, it's no longer a spinning hook anything, it's a spinning whatever. Neither is bad, imho. With them both, you'll have inertia on your side, however, by adding a hook, you'll increase a method, for example, to get around deflections and the like.

With the hook, you've now the ability to quickly end with a roundhouse or side kick without having to return kicking foot to the floor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I love this kick, I truly do, and my age it worries the others to see me practice it when we fight!

They simply do not expect it form me of all people lol!

The kick I think depends on the kick you want, and then what leg you launch it.

(sounds mad I get that, hear me out)

Spinning hook kick, Ushiro-mawashigeri is a back leg kick, hence 'spinning', but if you were to launch the kick form the front leg the spin changes from a full body spin to something more like a body twist, not a spin at all, but, and hence I say what leg, what it lacks in power it makes up for in speed.

The Ushiro-mawashigeri (Spinning kick) it is worth the practice and effort, and does tend to be a 'stiff' leg affair, the hook aspect tends to be the result of a fighters desire to face his opponent if it fails and push forward and fight on!

So why do that at all if its such a great kick?

In this video there are a few kicks where the hook is clearly the point and it does work for the fighter.

The video (to my mind and based on what I have seen in tournaments) does not reflect the reality of the kick and its use in the real world ...

The kick when done looks amazing...

the kick when it lands is devastating ...

the kick is a one hit wonder ...

... when it lands ...

... and thats the point the fact and so risk of the kick, and where the hook comes from.

... for each kick that does the job, there were 3-4 attempts that failed,mainly because the kick was spotted and he kick and simply evaded.

maybe consider a lower target.....

Watch the video at the end (last minute or so) note the mid section kicks (the ribs), they all work, they tend to hit 100% of the time and are just as devastating.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

The way I'm learning Ushiro Mawashi Geri is that it comes from the body first (getting the rotation down), then getting the knee position, then getting the foot out for the kick. The most important aspect of the kick is the rotation...if you don't get the body around in the proper position it's hard to get real power out of the kick.

The advantage of executing the kick with the hook (at least from what I've been told) is that one can adjust the height of the kick at the end, which then makes it more difficult to defend against.

One other tough part of using this kick is that one has to be quick with it in order for it to be effective...but as Hawkmoon said, when it is effective it can be devastating.

Every spinning kick I've learnt DID NOT come from Shindokan. Cross training my entire MA life, and a year of TKD, as a Shindokan JBB, is where I learnt every spinning kick. I befuddle mostly every Shindokanist whenever they're on the floor with me because they forget my kicking arsenal...Shindokan only teaches kicks below the waist, and we teach NO spinning kicks. Our kicks are designed to crash the base in every imaginable way.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!