• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Slide from Half Guard Pass

Hey all, here's my club's weekly recap on technique. We spent all week in half guard drilling bottom and top:

We review the knee slide pass out of half. I like this variant because it applies across so many guards and getting proficient at it really opens doors across all open guards. That said, it is my first choice for a pass in most half situations. Fundamental, pressure driven, not fancy, it's right in the frame of jiu jitsu where I like to be.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Loved the video...excellent in every way!! Thank you for sharing it. Beginners panic whenever any part of their body is trapped. But in the video, they can see that there's nothing to panic about...just work!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Again another great video. Keep 'em coming I'm a junkie when it comes to quality instructional videos like yours. Makes me want to start filming at our dojo again. I've been lacking in recent months.(Mostly being frustrated with failed up loads of my poor dsl but I've got fiber optic now so maybe I get back to work.)

Thanks for the kind words! It's appreciated. Glad you like them, and more importantly, find them useful. Also, can't wait to see you get more stuff up! I have your views on karate video on stand by to check out at first chance.

Coming out of a kempo based system (after quite a while) and moving into jits I'm always interested in other peoples views on the transition as well.

Oh I hate myself for the question that I'm about to ask you...but...

With your kempo background, what's your opinion of transitions from both styles??

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I thought a variant of this pass last week. I addressed the situation of when you get your knee through that for what ever reason you just can't seem to get the foot out. The body positioning is higher in the variation I used for the given situation since you were using the free foot to do a toe tap to the bottom knee.

How do you address if the person on bottom catches the in foot and you can't remove it in the technique in the video?

I'm not saying your way won't work but you've got those guys/girls out there that can hold on seemingly forever. I'm just curious as to how you deal with that situation being you're much more knowledgeable on the ground than I.

I thought a variant of this pass last week. I addressed the situation of when you get your knee through that for what ever reason you just can't seem to get the foot out. The body positioning is higher in the variation I used for the given situation since you were using the free foot to do a toe tap to the bottom knee.

How do you address if the person on bottom catches the in foot and you can't remove it in the technique in the video?

I'm not saying your way won't work but you've got those guys/girls out there that can hold on seemingly forever. I'm just curious as to how you deal with that situation being you're much more knowledgeable on the ground than I.

No worries on that. And I bet you're pretty knowledgeable yourself.

I hear you about the grab. :) Those guys are out there! I actually have a couple of different answers for this and they are situational dependent.

If it's a roll with no artificial time limit, or I'm working on the self defense aspect of my game, I maintain the underhook, drop the hip, and drive pressure. It costs me no energy and will start to wind the other guy. Eventually, they will give space trying to relieve pressure or beat the underhook. I keep them flat for this, control my breathing and energy expenditure and simply make them carry the weight.

I'm on top in the situation and therefore "winning". It's up to the other guy to deal with advancing the game. I've clearly done the right things.

Please note, I don't advocate doing every roll like this or you'll never look at expanding your game. But it is important to do occasionally so you develop the mechanism of control.

That said, there are times you must force the issue. Time constraints of sport for instance. Particularly if I"m down on points. Then I have a couple of different options. The first is to actually start levering the laces in foot to help create space as you lift the stuck leg. This can give you the space to slip thru.

Conversely, if they just have the foot I'll switch tactics and elevate my posture and drive the knee over the other hip and take a modified mount (with the foot trapped) this will usually allow enough space to clear the foot as the half guard position changes.

There's some other options, but they get a little involved for the written word.

Hope that is clear. Let me know if it's not.

I understand exactly what you are saying here. There are several others that I recently learned from Master Luiz Palhares that would also take a video for you to understand since I neither know were to start in describing them in a way that you could begin to picture what I'm describing.

PittbullJudoka, half guard review with escapes next week and more stick work? And more video to watch now Tallgeese.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine