• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to throw a powerful Kyokushin round kick?

SpeedKills

I know the technique I can do it, but Im having trouble getting my hips to work reliably when I step out.

Do you have any tips for when it comes to getting a powerful hip rotation EVERYTIME rather than once every 5 tries and to less and greater extent ie sometimes I get it and its real powerful sometimes I get it and its not as powerful and often I dont get it at all

Specifically the initial step out with the foot is what im having trouble with.

This guy throws plenty of them to DEVASTATING effect he is one of my fav fighters ever. He has brutal power. Hope you enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIDAmv3bks&feature=player_detailpage

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I don't practice Kyokushin, and I'm not an expert, but I would like to think I know a thing or two about mawashi-geri. There isn't any real shortcut to opening/turning-over the hips--you have to spend a lot of time practicing kicking properly. A big thing to keep in mind is that the foot of your supporting leg is going to have to turn as far to the side as you can get it, or your hips will be locked up. Something that helped me was actually practicing turning my kick over so that it makes contact at a downward angle. In order to do that, you HAVE to turn your hips over, so it forces you to do it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I don't practice Kyokushin, and I'm not an expert, but I would like to think I know a thing or two about mawashi-geri. There isn't any real shortcut to opening/turning-over the hips--you have to spend a lot of time practicing kicking properly. A big thing to keep in mind is that the foot of your supporting leg is going to have to turn as far to the side as you can get it, or your hips will be locked up. Something that helped me was actually practicing turning my kick over so that it makes contact at a downward angle. In order to do that, you HAVE to turn your hips over, so it forces you to do it.

Hi pleased to meet you!

Thankyou friend! :)

Just look at the guy's body position; he has his weight forward and doesn't turn away from the kick. This is a key principal; if the focus and the point of balance is forward into your target, then the technique will follow there too. As Wastelander says, there are no short cuts to attaining this form, it takes hard work and many hours of practice.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Just look at the guy's body position; he has his weight forward and doesn't turn away from the kick. This is a key principal; if the focus and the point of balance is forward into your target, then the technique will follow there too. As Wastelander says, there are no short cuts to attaining this form, it takes hard work and many hours of practice.

Got it, many thanks mate! :)

Osu!

The mawashi geri is a basic technique, but truly one of the hardest to master. I find that one of the hardest things to overcome when throwing a technique is the tendency to "muscle" it, rather than move from a place of relaxation. Some of the best kickers in the Kyokushin game have a seemingly effortless, flowing rhythm that directly influences their sudden and explosive emissions of power. When kicking, as previous posters have explained, its very important that the supporting foot is turned out so that the hips open up and roll over. Also, stepping towards your target at angle (not directly towards) helps send the energy of your kick on the right trajectory.

As for the kicking leg, think of it as loose and flexible, like a whip. Many of my students (even pretty proficient kickboxers) use their kicking leg like a stiff baseball bat. While this is certainly painful, its demanding on energy levels and it lacks the destructive power of a quick, sharp, cutting technique. In all your practice, always remember to issue your techniques from stillness, and to strive for relaxation. Keep training, and I promise you'll find it! Osu!

The hips push/drive the technique(s); almost the entire body acts in a domino manner, therefore, driven to its target. However, the hips, imho, are the engine that drives any said technique(s).

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The hips push/drive the technique(s); almost the entire body acts in a domino manner, therefore, driven to its target. However, the hips, imho, are the engine that drives any said technique(s).

That's what I've been finding...in general, power starts at the center and radiates out. For kicks, they start at the hips, then the knee follows, then the ankle/foot. Same thing with punches, starts with the body position (shoulder), then the elbow, then the wrist/hand.

Somehow in my TKD training power was never presented in this manner, seemed like we got more wrapped up in speed/snap. Body position through the technique wasn't ignored but the concept of starting at the center wasn't emphasized as much. Guessing this was school/instructor specific and not style specific.

One aspect to my training I enjoy now is pad work. Nothing like producing a resounding thud and seeing your partner move back to let you know you've generated some power on a technique. :D

SpeedKills,

In time, with proper training and guidance from a qualified instructor, you'll understand more as well as generate more power from your hips. Everything takes time!!

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Osu!

The kick is comes from the knee ...

(Didn't expect that did you!)

Its worthless without proper foot placement and hip rotation!

sensei8 wrote:

Get the back foot the one connecting you to the floor correct, this is critical, and then you can drive the kick through the Hip, and focus all that effort through the knee!

Now consider this ...

put your back foot on the floor and point it at your opponent/sparring partner/bag ... kick the bag.

Rubbish wasn't it!

Now place the foot at 45 degrees on the floor and point it at your opponent/sparring partner/bag ... kick the bag.

Better right!

Now place the foot at 45 degrees on the floor and allow your self to rotate on the ball of your foot (to spin) at your opponent/sparring partner/bag ... kick the bag.

Better again, right!

maybe a little more power, but certainly felt easier correct!

Now consider your knee.

Repeat the above and focus on 'pointing' your knee at the target.

So why do I say knee at all?

point the knee at the floor, and kick the ribs ... you can't

Do the same for the ribs, but kick at the head ... you can't

The knee is the critical bit, get that wrong and all the spinning and power in the world will not help you.

So return to the kick in general.

Rotate the hip, and now you aim (the angle of the knee) and foot placement come into play, (the above mentioned domino effect) not only can you now hit what you aimed at you do so with power.

More than you realized as well I promise you!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.