• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Mount Transition Video

Hey all, here's a short video we shot to recap one of the most fundamental movements we covered over the course of last week. The theme of the week was top side and some associated attacks. However, to really utilize these we have to first properly establish and hold a good technical position.

Here's how we start that process. For those who spend most of their time in another art and only cross train in BJJ or another grappling art, I've found that some of these details can get lost in favor of the gross motor functions of the movement rather than what actually makes it all possible.

So, some food for thought:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well taught. This is the kind of detail I would expect from a Renato Tavares student. Nicely done.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That is a good tutorial--thanks for sharing! I learned that transition from side control to kesa-gatame in judo, but we never went back to side control from there.

sensei8 - As he mentions in the video, he isn't actually pulling his opponent's tricep. If it's done the way I was taught, you're actually locking their elbow to your stomach, so it's actually the turning of your body that pulls their tricep. Kind of like if you're working tuidi--the locks are difficult/impossible to make work if you're just using your arms, instead of your body.

Does that sound about right?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks guys. ps1, that means a lot.

Wastelander hits the nail on the head, it's the body that does the work. Sensei8, the beauty of Jiu Jitsu is that it gets worked against resistance as a MAJOR facet of its training. There is rarly a theoretical tactic in the system.

Is it easy? Not against a skilled opponent who knows what he's doing but the maneuver works without question. It's a matter of moving your body into the space the you create rather than pulling.

Excellent tutorial video!!

Said tricep pull isn't that easy against a resistive opponent. Your thoughts, please.

:)

Practice more. You don't pull the tricep, you hold and allow your body to scoop it out. This is extremely easy after a few years of practice.

If your opponent has the tricep against the ground, where you can't pull, you should switch tactic and kneel on the arm.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Excellent tutorial video!!

Said tricep pull isn't that easy against a resistive opponent. Your thoughts, please.

Practice more. You don't pull the tricep, you hold and allow your body to scoop it out. This is extremely easy after a few years of practice.

If your opponent has the tricep against the ground, where you can't pull, you should switch tactic and kneel on the arm.

I agree, after some time with much practice, this is extremely easy. I only made that comment for conversation/discussion.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well done and attentive to detail. The only difference I see between our utilization of knee on belly I was taught by Luiz Palhares to goknee all the way across the stomach and the laces you referred to are against the hip which I find as a stable and mobile knee on belly but I'm gonna give your style a go to see the difference.

Tallgeese I tried your way of knee on belly this morning during sparring. I must say I'll be adding this variation to my game. Thank you sir. I'll have to confess that it was a lot more stable than I thought it was going to be. And it seems to really lock you into position and not hinder you mobility. Again thanks for the great instructional.