• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is Gamaku?

Wastelander

These body alignment principles are common across southern Chinese kungfu (probably northern too) and though the word isn't used this is standard Shotokan technique as well.

As I understand it, learning this kind of body alignment is one of the main purposes of Sanchin kata.

Previously I've discussed my definition of a fighting style on this forum. The key being that any style is a combination of interdependent principle of the types tactical, strategic and mechanical.

Well body alignment (mechanical) principles such as these are part of why you don't find a huge amount of boxing style bobbing and weaving in karate and southern Chinese ma. Though present they are not common aspects of the styles because they don't fit well with the mechanics. There are strategic reasons as well but it is the interdependent nature of these three areas that is so key in defining a given fighting art.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
These body alignment principles are common across southern Chinese kungfu (probably northern too) and though the word isn't used this is standard Shotokan technique as well.

As I understand it, learning this kind of body alignment is one of the main purposes of Sanchin kata.

Previously I've discussed my definition of a fighting style on this forum. The key being that any style is a combination of interdependent principle of the types tactical, strategic and mechanical.

Well body alignment (mechanical) principles such as these are part of why you don't find a huge amount of boxing style bobbing and weaving in karate and southern Chinese ma. Though present they are not common aspects of the styles because they don't fit well with the mechanics. There are strategic reasons as well but it is the interdependent nature of these three areas that is so key in defining a given fighting art.

That is a fairly accurate assessment of Chinese Martial arts in my meager experience. Though this is pure conjecture, I would imagine that the reason why Naihanchi/Tekki was taught as a beginners form initially was for the same exact reason. If I was going to teach a beginner I would start with Naihanchi for the same reason. You miss far too much in the power development arena without good postural work and Naihanchi is pretty much that in spades. When you take that into the Pinan's/Heian's they become different animals entirely.

I will say however that there can be a good amount of bobbing and weaving with "gamaku" in place. It just takes getting used to. However the type of bobbing and weaving is a bit different when taken in the context that these arts (whether Okinawan or Chinese) are for self defense as opposed to sport. Most of the bobbing and weaving is meant to get you into close quarters or to cut angles. Not that western boxing doesn't do that, but when grappling and close range short strikes are part of your repertoire your priorities produce different results.