• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu vs shotokan.

chrissyp

This isn't a post about which is better, I just couldn't think of a better title....

my question is, what are the difference and similiarties between each style? I'm thinking about switching from shotokan to Shorin, just wandering if it'd be a big change or subtle?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Only two major differences I can think of are stances and power generation.

Shotokan generally utilises the hip and foward movement; with an emphasis on kime and full body power. Shorin-Ryu generally emphasises the hip and pelvic alignment; with more emphasis on relaxation when hitting.

Stance wise; both use dynamic stances. However, Shorin-Ryu favours stances which are more upright and makes use of contraction of the muscles; whereas Shotokan often puts an emphasis on depth of stance and pushing to ones maximum range of movement.

My experience with Shotokan ends at that rather superficial comparison to be honest. I will say that in sparring Shotokan fighters; they are very good at lateral movement, and chaining attacks together at a range.

R. Keith Williams

Imho, I'd say that these two styles are like day and night, and in that, the only similarities these two styles have in common is that they both start with the letter, 'S'. After that, their methodologies and ideologies are separated as far apart as the north pole is from the south pole.

Imho!

However, I respect both of these karate styles!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Shotokan and Shorin-Ryu have the same roots, but they have grown into vastly different styles. Shotokan has some fairly widely accepted standards, but it's much harder to make generalizations about Shorin-Ryu. There are four main branches of Shorin-Ryu, which then have hundreds of sub-branches, and it gets hard to keep track of.

For the most part, Wado Heretic's observations about stances and power generation are correct. Shorin-Ryu also tends to favor speed and fluidity over strength and rigidity, although many Shorin-Ryu schools have been influenced by Shotokan through tournaments, and become rather rigid.

For someone looking to switch from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu, I can say that some things will be difficult and some things will be easy. I transitioned from Shuri-Ryu, which is strongly influenced by Shotokan and other Japanese styles, and we have someone at our dojo who is transitioning from Shotokan, himself. Your training in Shotokan will make it easier for you to learn new material, but it will have a "Shotokan flavor" for a long time. Shorin-Ryu and Shotokan share some kata, and of course many of the kihon-waza, which will cause some confusion. Little differences will trip you up, and it will take you a long time to unlearn the Shotokan method and learn the Shorin-Ryu method.

Best of luck to you!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have practiced both these styles, they may have the same root but they have grown into very different traditions. Shorin Ryu is more upright and fluid with faster more varied footwork. Shotokan has longer stances with more dynamic and committed linear movement. They both have strengths and weaknesses; it depends on what you want from them.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Shotokan and Shorin-Ryu have the same roots, but they have grown into vastly different styles. Shotokan has some fairly widely accepted standards, but it's much harder to make generalizations about Shorin-Ryu. There are four main branches of Shorin-Ryu, which then have hundreds of sub-branches, and it gets hard to keep track of.

For the most part, Wado Heretic's observations about stances and power generation are correct. Shorin-Ryu also tends to favor speed and fluidity over strength and rigidity, although many Shorin-Ryu schools have been influenced by Shotokan through tournaments, and become rather rigid.

For someone looking to switch from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu, I can say that some things will be difficult and some things will be easy. I transitioned from Shuri-Ryu, which is strongly influenced by Shotokan and other Japanese styles, and we have someone at our dojo who is transitioning from Shotokan, himself. Your training in Shotokan will make it easier for you to learn new material, but it will have a "Shotokan flavor" for a long time. Shorin-Ryu and Shotokan share some kata, and of course many of the kihon-waza, which will cause some confusion. Little differences will trip you up, and it will take you a long time to unlearn the Shotokan method and learn the Shorin-Ryu method.

Best of luck to you!

This is pretty much spot on. :)

In Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), almost all of our stances, movement, body positioning, etc is based on natural movements of the body. Our stances are either high (natural, standing) or low (natural, crouched). None of our low stances are very long or wide, but are deep (knees bent directly over toes).

In fact, all of our stances, and our art for that matter, is summarized pretty well with the following adage: "Our stances (art) are (is) deep, not long and/or wide."

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

It's not surprising to me that these two styles stances are so opposite. Why? Stances are one of the easiest things to change to make a style its own. Each of its founders where INDIVIDUALS who had their OWN ideas!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It's not surprising to me that these two styles stances are so opposite. Why? Stances are one of the easiest things to change to make a style its own. Each of its founders where INDIVIDUALS who had their OWN ideas!!

Absolutely. :) Well put...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Being biased; I would try the change, even if it does not really work for you in the end I suspect it may be a worthwhile experience. I find there is more depth, and variety to the Kata. Plus; I find the movements more applicable to Kumite, and Goshin Jutsu.

I just tried to list what I found left me feeling like a fish out of water moving from Wado-Ryu to Shorin-Ryu. There are only so many ways to move the body; so you will find a lot of over lapping, especially as the Kata used share a historical basis. However; saying that, there will be something to change and adapt to at every level.

I would not call Shorin-Ryu inately superior to Wado-Ryu, but I did find a depth of knowledge in Shorin-Ryu I did not find before, and I have found I have moved forward as a Karateka and Martial artist as result.

If you can find someone dedicated, and with an attachment to Okinawa, I would give it a go.

R. Keith Williams

Being biased; I would try the change, even if it does not really work for you in the end I suspect it may be a worthwhile experience. I find there is more depth, and variety to the Kata. Plus; I find the movements more applicable to Kumite, and Goshin Jutsu.

I just tried to list what I found left me feeling like a fish out of water moving from Wado-Ryu to Shorin-Ryu. There are only so many ways to move the body; so you will find a lot of over lapping, especially as the Kata used share a historical basis. However; saying that, there will be something to change and adapt to at every level.

I would not call Shorin-Ryu inately superior to Wado-Ryu, but I did find a depth of knowledge in Shorin-Ryu I did not find before, and I have found I have moved forward as a Karateka and Martial artist as result.

If you can find someone dedicated, and with an attachment to Okinawa, I would give it a go.

The school i'm considering, the owner is from Okinawa I believe, or he's Japanese.

Per Aspera Ad Astra