• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate classes be too tough

nizleyeen

OSU!

Talk to the sensei about the concerns you have. The anser should be something like "You don't have to be fit as a start, Karate will make you fit". If it is, then it's probably a decent dojo with a reasonable instructor.

It's never going to be easy, it's not supposed to be. But this can be a source of tremendous joy because we never stop learning.

I'd say just dive in and give your best. Don't compare yourself to others, Karate practice is also about revealing the best YOU can be. And don't get demotivated because the first lessons are tough and you feel you suck at it - it was hard for all of us, and we all sucked in the beginning.

Good luck!

OSU!

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was overweight at age 14. My entire family is thick in general...and my father decided the best thing to do was to put me into a lot of sports.

I did basketball, football and boxing all within 2 years. Boxing was what interested me the most and I stuck with that for longer but anyways...the weight melted off me.

Sports work as they are a fun way to exercise without the boredom that is often a part of exercise routines. Exercise is what is needed to lost weight and gain muscles. All the dieting in the world won't accomplish as much as regular exercise will.

good luck and have at it.

If you think something is too tough or too difficult for you before starting, then it is too tough. Such a self defeating mindset will make you fail without ever having tried.

Karate training was never meant to be easy. The question is wether or not you are determined to take the first step. Outer toughness is impossible without first having inner toughness.

In martial arts, the mind and body must always work together. The two follow one another and depend on each other, but the mind must lead. Mental toughness and determination to persevere through difficulty, or pain or initial failures will make you strong but the lack of it will make you quit.

Make up your mind and follow it. Others can give you suggestions, advice and even encouragement but the will and decision are yours alone. If you have neither it will not matter how much others push you.

As someone who has lost 8KG (17.5lbs) in this year alone due to Karate i would say its tough but absolutely worth it.

Don't worry about what others do or say though. Martial arts is a personal journey.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

I definitely say do Karate! It's great for helping you get in shape and put some discipline under your belt. Good luck!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

All good posts here. It will be a challenge, but you should be able to pace yourself as you go, and see improvement as you come along. I think the best thing for you to do is take the dive and get started in it. It just might change your life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have nothing new to add to what others have said, but I wanted to simply chime in so you could see how many people agree:

It's great that you're thinking about starting the martial arts! Do it!

Anything worth doing is going to be tough.

It's going to make you stronger, and more disciplined, and more confident!

If you have a good instructor, (s)he won't push you beyond what you can realistically do. But they WILL push you, and that's a great thing!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress! Best wishes!

KyungYet

If you practice weak, you become weak. If you practice strong, you become strong.

My Sensei always says, you don't get in shape for karate, karate will whip you into shape. In other words, you don't wait for a certain level of fitness (health issues notwithstanding of course) before you begin. Everyone has to start somewhere! Most of our adult classes have white belts to black belts and every colour in between. We are all doing basically the same thing a lot of the time, with the big difference being expectations - and beginners will be given more help. You go in, train hard, work to your own personal limits, push your own personal boundaries as best as you can. A good sensei will expect nothing more, and you will find your own shape will just naturally improve. I say go for it!