• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hm.. What Martial Art should I take?

I took Wing Chun for a month.. But ever since school started Ive decided its too far away (1 hour to get there and get back meaning I get back at 11PM which is a bit late also considering that my school is an hour away which meant no time for HomeWork). Now I have found a couple places around my house. I have two Kyokushin, Gen-Ki Karate, Judo, Shotokan, TKD, and a Hapkido dojo. I am really not sure which one to chose. Could you maybe help me out by listing some of their weaknesses and strengths?

:-?

-Arys

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Alot of it really has to do with the school. I would go and check out each of the schools, try a class and talk to the instructor. This way you will find out which school best meets your needs, and which environment you feel most comfortable in :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Judo has strong throws, with some groundwork, good grappling art. No striking and probably no weapons training.

Depending on the dojo, TKD will probably have a lot of kicks and not much handwork. If it's WTF, it's sport-orientated and poor for self defense. ITF, is more traditional and better for self defense. But then again, it might not be either of these two. Lacks grappling. Not sure about weapons training.

Hapkido is a well-rounded art, it incoporates striking, grappling and some weapons training I think.

https://www.kickboxing.com has a list of arts down the side and a description of the art with links to further information.

You have to decide what you want out of an art though. Do you want exercise, fun, self defense ? Then you need to know whether you want striking, grappling, weapons training. Or, all of it ? If that's the case, you might need to do a bit of cross training.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

All martial arts have their Pros and Cons. I have studied like 8 different arts and can say for sure that for me there is nothing like Hap Ki Do. We cover all ranges of fighting and many of the same weapons that most other Korean systems do. Plus if the instructor at the HKD school has studied additional weapons then he/she will probebly include them in the ciriculum. Most HKD systems are soft fluid systems but some people include more karate based techniques in their studies and teachings. Basically for a good all around art Hap Ki Do is next to none. It is proven self defense and can be controling, agressive, or even deadly.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

you wont like to hear this.. but go watch each class. once you're done watching the classes and you still can't pick you should probably ask the forums about it. i think this would be the best idea. :)

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

you wont like to hear this.. but go watch each class. once you're done watching the classes and you still can't pick you should probably ask the forums about it. i think this would be the best idea. :)

yeh i agree, go see a lesson of each this will really help i think.

You should try the Kyokushin dojo....

Full contact sparring, Sabaki tournaments, Kyokushin will get your mind and body TUFF!

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

I see... Well I am kind of stucj between two of the arts.. Kyokushin Karate and Hapkido. I have a GrandMaster teaching at the Hapkido place by my house but I heard that it involves a GREAT deal of strength, does it? And the Kyokushin Karate plaec by my house seems sensible but the Masters son just died during training from exhaustion.. Im leaning towards Hapkido so far.