• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice for a potentially new Kung Fu Student?

The only martial art style I have ever known is Okinawan Shorei-Ryu Karate. However, I am going to try out a Kung Fu class this coming weekend. I've never branched out to different styles before, so is there any advice in transitioning from Karate to Kung Fu?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd recommend going in with an open mind and an empty cup. Try not to think things like "we do it this way in Karate," and try really hard not to mention that in class. Just take the time to learn something new, and see where it leads you.

I'd recommend going in with an open mind and an empty cup. Try not to think things like "we do it this way in Karate," and try really hard not to mention that in class. Just take the time to learn something new, and see where it leads you.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi Mallary!

Just wanted to jump in here and say good luck! About a year ago I was in the same boat as you, jumping into wushu (kung fu) from Tae Kwon Do.. And let me tell you, just about EVERYTHING is different. Like others have posted, keep an open mind because it will be very different from what you are use to. It is SO much fun though. I now train in both Tae Kwon Do and Wushu. The only thing sort of bad that has happened is that my wushu seems to be crossing into my TKD forms.. My instructor has to constantly remind me that I am in TKD now. Oops! :) Good Luck!

-Courtney

Hi Mallary!

Just wanted to jump in here and say good luck! About a year ago I was in the same boat as you, jumping into wushu (kung fu) from Tae Kwon Do.. And let me tell you, just about EVERYTHING is different. Like others have posted, keep an open mind because it will be very different from what you are use to. It is SO much fun though. I now train in both Tae Kwon Do and Wushu. The only thing sort of bad that has happened is that my wushu seems to be crossing into my TKD forms.. My instructor has to constantly remind me that I am in TKD now. Oops! :) Good Luck!

-Courtney

Thanks so much for the insight! So great to hear an "in the field" experience first hand. Traditionally my style is very linear and hard, I was hoping to enhance my knowledge expanding to a more circular softer style. I am a bit nervous about inadvertently bringing one style's characteristics to the other, but I just really want to open my mind and body to something new. I am pretty nervous but excited all at the same time.

I also feel an odd loyalty complex with branching out. In my current dojo's school creed we often repeat that we are to be "loyal to my school and the art it teaches." I received a couple of raised eyebrows when I told some of my fellow karateka that I was going to try Kung Fu at a different school. Subsequently I found myself explaining that my current dojo is of course where my loyalty lies and that this is more of an "add on" to enhance what I've learned already. I may just be overly self-conscious about the whole thing.

If you have one style as a priority, there is nothing wrong with that. However, its important to respect what both instructors want and expect out of you in class, in regards to time committment and rank expectations. Just make sure you are on the same page with both of them as to your goals.

I definitely spoke with my current Sensei before branching out. He knows what I am trying to achieve (to diversify, increase my balance and flexibility, etc). If it were up to me I'd train with him everyday but that pesky thing called life gets in the way. He is very supportive, his main concern is that its tough to find quality instructors. He has 32 years of martial arts experience and has trained in many different styles under many instructors so I take this concern very seriously. In fact, it almost deterred me completely. But I am still craving more.

I was also very forthcoming with my potential Kung Fu instructor in terms of what I am looking for. I of course will be respectful to both instructors (and fellow students). I've always been trained that "karate begins and ends with respect." Its a creed that I apply to all aspects of my life, especially when it comes to training with others.

I think my nerves have babbling at this point :karate:

• 2 weeks later...
The only martial art style I have ever known is Okinawan Shorei-Ryu Karate. However, I am going to try out a Kung Fu class this coming weekend. I've never branched out to different styles before, so is there any advice in transitioning from Karate to Kung Fu?

before getting into the Chinese martial arts I also did Shrei-Ryu for a short time. Don't be nervous just have fun..It will be different but fighting is fighting..What style of martial art is the Kung Fu you will be taken? there are many styles of Kung Fu. basically you have the Northern styles which are flashy mostly fight at long range. and the Southern which fights are close range uses more of the hands and less kicks..

Southern White crane is very similar to GoJu karate. very hard with dynamic tension.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"