• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is learning martial art online is available?

First , hello Seon Mu Do and welcome to the forum. Next, I can only agree and recommend the very good advice by Harkon72 and guird about learning and teachers etc.

Lastly a bit of extra advice. If you are going to be moving around regularly or are in the position of having to train alone a lot , with only occasional trips to a club. I advise picking a common, wide spread and well known style of martial art. Not something no one has ever heard of. Pick something like Wing Chun or Tai-Chi Kung Fu, or Shotokan or Goju Ryu Karate etc. Arts that are available world wide, so you've a chance of finding a club where ever you are. Plus, there is a great deal of on-line resources to help as well, with these arts. Hope this helps and good luck.

thanks for your advise

I understand what you mean

picking a common martial art is easier

but I always like to pick something not common, thats my passion :)

but i know, that i have to give up, if no solution reached :bawling:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this. You can't learn online, because when you are starting out, you will make a lot of mistakes that you don't have enough experience to notice or correct. But there are things you can learn without learning how to throw a single punch.

What you can do? Start studying people. Start thinking "If I was a criminal/rapist/whatever, who would I hunt here? How would I do it?" When you are seeing people, start planning in your mind how you can do something terrible and evil. Imagine that for some reason, you have to hurt someone, or steal from them, or something else that you fear. Probably not a specific person, unless you fear someone specially targeting you. Look around to decide who you would be evil to, and think of where you would stand and what you would need to do your evil thing. Do not do the evil thing of course.

When you start teaching your mind how to see the world like a predator of people would, you will start seeing places that, if you were evil, you would hunt at. The little predator part of your mind you are teaching will say "Oh! There are people in my spot I would stand to rob someone." Then, you will know to not go there looking like prey.

If you look like a predator, another predator will think you are too much trouble. Predators don't want good even fights, they want unaware prey that they can hunt easily, then go home without being tired or bruised.

You will see what makes people look like prey, and you will learn how not to look like prey. This is the half that a lot of people don't spend enough time learning.

deep philosophy..thanks for sharing

though, my main reason to practice martial art, is not to defend my self, i am looking more to improve my health, and to advance my buddhist practice

i know, that kung fu is good for this thing, but i don't like the chinese style, i like korean style more

I was thinking about kuk sool won, but its too, not that available :(

I'll say this. You can't learn online, because when you are starting out, you will make a lot of mistakes that you don't have enough experience to notice or correct. But there are things you can learn without learning how to throw a single punch.

What you can do? Start studying people. Start thinking "If I was a criminal/rapist/whatever, who would I hunt here? How would I do it?" When you are seeing people, start planning in your mind how you can do something terrible and evil. Imagine that for some reason, you have to hurt someone, or steal from them, or something else that you fear. Probably not a specific person, unless you fear someone specially targeting you. Look around to decide who you would be evil to, and think of where you would stand and what you would need to do your evil thing. Do not do the evil thing of course.

When you start teaching your mind how to see the world like a predator of people would, you will start seeing places that, if you were evil, you would hunt at. The little predator part of your mind you are teaching will say "Oh! There are people in my spot I would stand to rob someone." Then, you will know to not go there looking like prey.

If you look like a predator, another predator will think you are too much trouble. Predators don't want good even fights, they want unaware prey that they can hunt easily, then go home without being tired or bruised.

You will see what makes people look like prey, and you will learn how not to look like prey. This is the half that a lot of people don't spend enough time learning.

I hear you, a little paranoia goes a long way. Just don't lose sight of the fact that the world is full of good people. The good guys largely outnumber the bad guys !!! :)

yeah sure...right

i have no ideas on the specific martial art you are seeking, never really heard of them. i DO however have an opinion about learning martial arts online in general.

Some people are far more capable of learning on their own then others. To top that off, with todays Technology and use of video, weather recorded earlier or even live, its really opened the idea of this up. The ability to record yourself and compare yourself to your "teachers" video is quite an interesting tool that wasn't so easily accessible when i was 17 (1994) when i bought my first two books, one was a tae kwon do book and don't ask the name haha, the other was "the tao of jeet kune do" by bruce lee of course! I did a very descent job of self teaching as i later signed up at a local tae kwon do school and knew (and practiced) a good deal of these moves proper enough that i wasn't learning much in white belt in the actual school, because I self taught that is!

Basically I'm saying i believe that the online program can work for some people but to the level of an expert or at minimum to black belt, i think it is much more realistic if one already has martial arts experience. Actors and movie stars years ago had been said to do it in a similar fashion because they were on the go too much, why should they be held back from sharing the experience of martial arts. Does the Technology not help people to share many of life's great experiences? Martial arts is worth the effort to do it, HARDER maybe, but NOT impossible! :o

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

i have no ideas on the specific martial art you are seeking, never really heard of them. i DO however have an opinion about learning martial arts online in general.

Some people are far more capable of learning on their own then others. To top that off, with todays Technology and use of video, weather recorded earlier or even live, its really opened the idea of this up. The ability to record yourself and compare yourself to your "teachers" video is quite an interesting tool that wasn't so easily accessible when i was 17 (1994) when i bought my first two books, one was a tae kwon do book and don't ask the name haha, the other was "the tao of jeet kune do" by bruce lee of course! I did a very descent job of self teaching as i later signed up at a local tae kwon do school and knew (and practiced) a good deal of these moves proper enough that i wasn't learning much in white belt in the actual school, because I self taught that is!

Basically I'm saying i believe that the online program can work for some people but to the level of an expert or at minimum to black belt, i think it is much more realistic if one already has martial arts experience. Actors and movie stars years ago had been said to do it in a similar fashion because they were on the go too much, why should they be held back from sharing the experience of martial arts. Does the Technology not help people to share many of life's great experiences? Martial arts is worth the effort to do it, HARDER maybe, but NOT impossible! :o

Great post !!!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

do you advise me to begin with this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLe2-whXgkw

though I think Kung Fu is not similiar to this one

sunmudo looks to me like it's somewhere between shaolin kung fu an taekkyon, with some yoga thrown in.

I guess you could start by training online for a month or two, to get in shape, build flexibility and balance (that video seems o.k. for that, but the Master Woo taekwondo that was recommended seems a better option, just less similar to sunmudo).

Start finding out what's available in the area you will be moving to, and try out the most interesting ones when you get there.

edit: didn't pay attention and asked a question that was already answered. removed now.

Edited by guird

Great post !!!

Yes...solid post!!

For any learning venue, effective feedback is essential at every corner. Without effective feedback, effective MA is nothing more than an illusion.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great post !!!

Yes...solid post!!

For any learning venue, effective feedback is essential at every corner. Without effective feedback, effective MA is nothing more than an illusion.

Imho!!

:)

Totally agree, but what then is your opinion if there is feedback through video testing?

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

deep philosophy..thanks for sharing

though, my main reason to practice martial art, is not to defend my self, i am looking more to improve my health, and to advance my buddhist practice

i know, that kung fu is good for this thing, but i don't like the chinese style, i like korean style more

I was thinking about kuk sool won, but its too, not that available :(

From what I have heard, kuk sool won is similar to hapkido (though I don't have experience with either). If you can find a hapkido school that may be a nice idea.