• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is learning martial art online is available?

Now then! This is a martial art I have never heard of. But this is what advice I can give you. You can't learn a martial art on line, by DVD or any thing else apart from being taught in person. Call me old fashioned but people have tried it and failed, you cannot learn from a book either. You cannot just follow a martial art at a distance or from pictures or video; you must experience it. Any martial art can be good if you have a good teacher. My advice is to look for one.

I won't say that you can't learn a Martial Art online, but I will say it will definitely be the tougher road to hoe. You won't have any immediate feedback on what your doing, which, without any experience, is going to make it tough to figure out what changes you need to make on technique. Again, I won't say its impossible, but I will say it will be very tough, and you likely won't get great results out of it until you can work with someone that has some experience and can give you some feedback.

Another issue is that Martial Arts is very much an interactive thing, and you really benefit by having partners to work with on technique and application. Without a partner to work with, progression is tough to judge, as well.

I wish you luck on your endeavor, and strongly encourage you to look for some kind of school to train at.

Just out of curiosity, why have you chose the style you have mentioned here?

Thanks for advise

I understand your point, but I have no choice, unless I won't practice martial art, until I have to wait long time as I mentioned the reason above?

so I decide to begin now, something for beginner, until I move to another country, and have a free time to see the school there, which will take a lots of time

as for the martial art, I am intrested in a martial art that have some spiritual background, and especially on Buddhism, and in the same time, I like the Korean style more, thats the reason I choose Sonmudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now then! This is a martial art I have never heard of. But this is what advice I can give you. You can't learn a martial art on line, by DVD or any thing else apart from being taught in person. Call me old fashioned but people have tried it and failed, you cannot learn from a book either. You cannot just follow a martial art at a distance or from pictures or video; you must experience it. Any martial art can be good if you have a good teacher. My advice is to look for one.

I won't say that you can't learn a Martial Art online, but I will say it will definitely be the tougher road to hoe. You won't have any immediate feedback on what your doing, which, without any experience, is going to make it tough to figure out what changes you need to make on technique. Again, I won't say its impossible, but I will say it will be very tough, and you likely won't get great results out of it until you can work with someone that has some experience and can give you some feedback.

Another issue is that Martial Arts is very much an interactive thing, and you really benefit by having partners to work with on technique and application. Without a partner to work with, progression is tough to judge, as well.

I wish you luck on your endeavor, and strongly encourage you to look for some kind of school to train at.

Just out of curiosity, why have you chose the style you have mentioned here?

You put that in a great way! I agree that martial arts in an interactive thing. I think it is obvious we have all kind of come to an agreement that you CAN learn martial arts online, but NOT in a way that is as effective as training under a teacher directly, live and in person! I would also agree with finding a martial art in your area, its probably the best way to learn effective.

yeah thats sure

Learning isn't a mistake, no matter the venue!! Imho!!

:D

You just dropped some knowledge sir!!!

Jedi Knight level!!!

:karate:

Much wisdom he has, yes? Hmmm?

;)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

sure

I don't understand why some think its a very big deal to learn online!!

I believe that what you find is that most MAists don't like any learning of the MA without proper feedback from a qualified instructor. No feedback! Then how can a practitioner of the MA know if what their doing is correct/effective.

No proper feedback can cause incorrect muscle memory difficult to correct, if at all.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

sure

I don't understand why some think its a very big deal to learn online!!

You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of old-school practitioners around that didn't have this kind of technology available when they began training. Therefore, its different, and its a change, and we some are more open to change than others.

Like sense8 mentioned, there's the lack of feedback from a qualified, or at least experienced, teacher, and the secondary problem is that of rank, should it be sought out. If you choose not to try to attain rank, then that won't be an issue. But if you start doing on-line or video submitted testings for rank, that can be a different issue, as well. Credibility tends to come under question more in situations like that.