• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is learning martial art online is available?

Hi every one

I am new to this forum, looking for help for some martial art

I am looking to learn martial art online, as I am staying in a country, where this martial art, is not available

do any of you, know which site can I learn a Korean Martial art called Seon Mu do? or Sonmudo?

this is introduction about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunmudo

I find someone in Youtube, post full learning tips for Kung fu, I wandering if I can find the same for Sonmudo???

Thank you very much

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now then! This is a martial art I have never heard of. But this is what advice I can give you. You can't learn a martial art on line, by DVD or any thing else apart from being taught in person. Call me old fashioned but people have tried it and failed, you cannot learn from a book either. You cannot just follow a martial art at a distance or from pictures or video; you must experience it. Any martial art can be good if you have a good teacher. My advice is to look for one.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Now then! This is a martial art I have never heard of. But this is what advice I can give you. You can't learn a martial art on line, by DVD or any thing else apart from being taught in person. Call me old fashioned but people have tried it and failed, you cannot learn from a book either. You cannot just follow a martial art at a distance or from pictures or video; you must experience it. Any martial art can be good if you have a good teacher. My advice is to look for one.

^this

you can use dvds and online videos to supplement your regular training and look for ideas, but it can never replace training with an instructor and with training partners. If the style that most interests you is not available in your area, look for similar martial arts. Better yet, look into a variety of martial arts in your area. Pick a number of different nearby styles and try a lesson of each one.

edit: just watched some videos, if you really want to do something similar I'd start with some kung fu and sport wushu schools. They seem the closest thing.

^this

you can use dvds and online videos to supplement your regular training and look for ideas, but it can never replace training with an instructor and with training partners. If the style that most interests you is not available in your area, look for similar martial arts. Better yet, look into a variety of martial arts in your area. Pick a number of different nearby styles and try a lesson of each one.

edit: just watched some videos, if you really want to do something similar I'd start with some kung fu and sport wushu schools. They seem the closest thing.

yeah I understand that online couldn't replace real teacher, but currently, I stay in a country, where woman not allowed to practice martial art, after one month, I will move to another country, where its available some of the martial art, but I am sure not this one, Sonmudo

thats the reason I am looking for online

what you suggest me, to begin training for something similiar to this martial art??? for beginner

I think Kung Fu is not similiar to this one...am I right? I am not experienced

any way...

Thanks

I'm inclined to agree, that martial arts are not best learnt that way.

However there is always an exception, there's one program that I have come across that has peeked my interest and if I couldn't train with my current association (for whatever reason) and or if I wanted to augment my current training, I would join this:

TKD from Master Woo

I know it's not Seon Mu do or Sonmudo, but Tae Kwon Do is still a Korean Martial Art.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

First , hello Seon Mu Do and welcome to the forum. Next, I can only agree and recommend the very good advice by Harkon72 and guird about learning and teachers etc.

Lastly a bit of extra advice. If you are going to be moving around regularly or are in the position of having to train alone a lot , with only occasional trips to a club. I advise picking a common, wide spread and well known style of martial art. Not something no one has ever heard of. Pick something like Wing Chun or Tai-Chi Kung Fu, or Shotokan or Goju Ryu Karate etc. Arts that are available world wide, so you've a chance of finding a club where ever you are. Plus, there is a great deal of on-line resources to help as well, with these arts. Hope this helps and good luck.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I'll say this. You can't learn online, because when you are starting out, you will make a lot of mistakes that you don't have enough experience to notice or correct. But there are things you can learn without learning how to throw a single punch.

What you can do? Start studying people. Start thinking "If I was a criminal/rapist/whatever, who would I hunt here? How would I do it?" When you are seeing people, start planning in your mind how you can do something terrible and evil. Imagine that for some reason, you have to hurt someone, or steal from them, or something else that you fear. Probably not a specific person, unless you fear someone specially targeting you. Look around to decide who you would be evil to, and think of where you would stand and what you would need to do your evil thing. Do not do the evil thing of course.

When you start teaching your mind how to see the world like a predator of people would, you will start seeing places that, if you were evil, you would hunt at. The little predator part of your mind you are teaching will say "Oh! There are people in my spot I would stand to rob someone." Then, you will know to not go there looking like prey.

If you look like a predator, another predator will think you are too much trouble. Predators don't want good even fights, they want unaware prey that they can hunt easily, then go home without being tired or bruised.

You will see what makes people look like prey, and you will learn how not to look like prey. This is the half that a lot of people don't spend enough time learning.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'll say this. You can't learn online, because when you are starting out, you will make a lot of mistakes that you don't have enough experience to notice or correct. But there are things you can learn without learning how to throw a single punch.

What you can do? Start studying people. Start thinking "If I was a criminal/rapist/whatever, who would I hunt here? How would I do it?" When you are seeing people, start planning in your mind how you can do something terrible and evil. Imagine that for some reason, you have to hurt someone, or steal from them, or something else that you fear. Probably not a specific person, unless you fear someone specially targeting you. Look around to decide who you would be evil to, and think of where you would stand and what you would need to do your evil thing. Do not do the evil thing of course.

When you start teaching your mind how to see the world like a predator of people would, you will start seeing places that, if you were evil, you would hunt at. The little predator part of your mind you are teaching will say "Oh! There are people in my spot I would stand to rob someone." Then, you will know to not go there looking like prey.

If you look like a predator, another predator will think you are too much trouble. Predators don't want good even fights, they want unaware prey that they can hunt easily, then go home without being tired or bruised.

You will see what makes people look like prey, and you will learn how not to look like prey. This is the half that a lot of people don't spend enough time learning.

I hear you, a little paranoia goes a long way. Just don't lose sight of the fact that the world is full of good people. The good guys largely outnumber the bad guys !!! :)

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

I'm inclined to agree, that martial arts are not best learnt that way.

However there is always an exception, there's one program that I have come across that has peeked my interest and if I couldn't train with my current association (for whatever reason) and or if I wanted to augment my current training, I would join this:

TKD from Master Woo

I know it's not Seon Mu do or Sonmudo, but Tae Kwon Do is still a Korean Martial Art.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

thanks for the link and advise

I also think that :)