• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for Karate...

USMCKoontz

Shotokai is a good traditional style of Karate; but that said, like all martial arts it depends on the teacher and the way it is taught. Go and see, they should give you at least one session for free to see what it's like. Good Luck. At the end of the day it depends what you want, your budget and how far you want to go. For some it is a hobby, for others it is a way of life. Don't become a school's income generator or let anyone fool you into committing into a contract. Usually, if it feels genuine, it usually is.

Yeah going to go check it out. The way the instructor talked to my wife it is a Traditional School, with a focus in Self Defense. He said that it could be used in Full Contact or Knockdown Karate Tournaments, and even Point Sparring.

He sent the Style list (above the long one I posted) in my email, but also told my wife it is a Kempo (or Kenpo dont remember right spelling) Karate.

Just to be clear, Shotokai is the name of the group (and thus the recognised style) headed by Mitsusuke Harada

This group (Zen Shotokai Karate Ryu) might have connections in the dim and distant past, but as far as I can see, it is NOT Shotokai Karate. It's just the name they have given themselves.

Had a look at the web site (as well as the vids) and well, I've seen worse.

Depends also on how much of a stickler you are for correct procedure. Personally, I hate folk slapping their arms on the side of their legs like penguins when they bow - that demonstrates zero understanding of Rei-ho and where it fits into Japanese Budo.

I also don't like seeing images of folk posing with katana (Japanese sword) wearing their wrist watch!

But, I’m a grumpy old man ;)

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I hate folk slapping their arms on the side of their legs like penguins when they bow - that demonstrates zero understanding of Rei-ho and where it fits into Japanese Budo.

I also don't like seeing images of folk posing with katana (Japanese sword) wearing their wrist watch!

But, I’m a grumpy old man

Great speech. I got a god laugh and I agree with you but I'm old and grumpy too. :lol:

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

Please visit the school MORE THAN ONCE!! Watch how the interaction between students and instructor/CI/assistants, as well as the students themselves. And not just the adults, but the kid classes as well; varying ranks as well.

For me, that's a snapshot that can't be found during an interview that one does when ones joining a school of the MA.

After that, as DD said, "dive in" and let the training begin...train hard!!

:)

Yeah going to go more than once... I have just been searching basically for Martial Arts close to me. Trying to learn as much about the styles before I go :)

In the event you don't like that place, and so you have something to compare it to, what else is within the distance you're willing to travel to train?

I found a Shotokan school also close to me:

http://www.karateaiken.com/

and also this school:

http://kindaikarate.org/

and this one is pretty close also:

http://www.japankaratesc.com/

and this one

http://www.karatesc.com/

Of couse I am leaning more towards Karate than anything else :)

Why are you leaning toward Karate? Do you have experience in it? I would recommend, if you're interested in strong self defense, also considering Judo, Jiu-Jitsu and even more modern arts like Krav Maga. Just a suggestion.

Edit: This is not to say that Karate isn't a good choice, just curious as to why you're shutting out other options before having background in them.

Also...all instructors are going to tell you the basics: "We focus on self defense here. Your kids will learn more discipline and increased respect. yada yada yada" That's not to say it's not true...but it's typically true of many academies. They all feel they focus on self defense.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

The first and fourth karate schools seem ok, it's Shotokan, and they seem to have put together good websites. No nonsense.

The second one seems to be a Christian organisation; I have nothing against that, but they don't tell you what style of karate they practice. Also in the picture, the highest grade has a black and red belt. This is usually reserved for 8th and 9th Dan grades and in the break down they say he's a 4th Dan. The gentleman can wear what ever belt he wants but it would be interesting to ask him which teacher appointed him his grade and where does the linage of this style come from.

The third website states that the karate is Wado Ryu, in its self a good style. But I have seen this template of website before; our local McDojo uses it; it's exactly the same. I wont tell you who produces and directs these businesses, just scratch the surface. It is apparent that they run money machines in the US, Canada and the UK on an industrial scale. They are not martial artists, they are entrepreneurs.

Personally, I would go for one of the Shotokan clubs.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Why are you leaning toward Karate? Do you have experience in it? I would recommend, if you're interested in strong self defense, also considering Judo, Jiu-Jitsu and even more modern arts like Krav Maga. Just a suggestion.

Edit: This is not to say that Karate isn't a good choice, just curious as to why you're shutting out other options before having background in them.

Also...all instructors are going to tell you the basics: "We focus on self defense here. Your kids will learn more discipline and increased respect. yada yada yada" That's not to say it's not true...but it's typically true of many academies. They all feel they focus on self defense.

I am interested in other things besides Karate, but I just like the flow and movement in Karate. I like alot of styles other than that, and I am still searching for other places around the Aiken, SC and Augusta, Ga areas.

a couple other places I am looking to call are

http://stsdkarate.com/

http://www.superioracademy.com/

and always looking for others that I may not know about.

The Southern Tang Sou Do class looks good until the website says "we encourage the practice of all Martial Arts styles." Really? If you overlook this mistake, they seem ok.

The Jeet Kun Do school looks good; 30 days for free! No pressure then! No, really they look like a good bunch of guys, but they shouldn't boast that they can teach 11 martial arts in the same school even if they can,it sounds a little too good to be true.

Of these two, I would love to try out the Jeet Kun Do; just to see if they really are as good as they say they are. Also please take into account the long term cost.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

None of these schools will remotely improve your ability to defend yourself.

Please don't think that they will.

As others have said, EVERYONE puts "good for self defence" on their web site.

Karate is a martial art - as is Archery and Iaido etc. and like the last two - will probably be as useful if someone jumps you in the street.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I am interested in other things besides Karate, but I just like the flow and movement in Karate. I like alot of styles other than that, and I am still searching for other places around the Aiken, SC and Augusta, Ga areas.

a couple other places I am looking to call are

http://stsdkarate.com/

http://www.superioracademy.com/

and always looking for others that I may not know about.

I'd definitely try out the jeet kune do place and see if its your thing. The website makes it look profit-driven, but this isn't neccessarily a problem as long as the training is good and the fees reasonable. Keep an eye out for more red flags. They seem to have both a RBSD approach, and boast about having MMA fighters as well (though I can't find any information about this other than the advertisement about supplements... like I said, it looks profit driven).

If there's truth to their boasts it could indeed be the best place in the area, but there also seem to be a couple of shifty things about it, so keep an eye out.

That's funny! I JUST met this sensei at the USA Karate (USA-NKF) Nationals in Reno last month. Judging by the number of people walking around with his logo, he must have brought a fair number of competitors. I mention this because you said something about wanting to compete in the future. The USA-NKF is part of the WKF. If karate gets into the Olympics, it will likely be under the WKF, as the WKF and the IOC have been working together for many years.

I only spoke with this sensei briefly, but he seemed like a good guy. Based on what little I know about him, I'd recommend checking out his dojos.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com