• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Post videos of yourself performing any technique!

Nobody else has anything to post? We'll I'm always game for putting it out there for others to judge lol, check this out. I have never really done much roundhouse kicking with the ball of my foot. In Tang Soo Do we focus on top of foot, kickboxing we focus on the lower shin, tonight after my students tested I felt frisky and tried a speed break with the ball. It was my youth boards so not the thickest, they are .75 of an inch. Adult boards are 1" for us so what can I say, we were out haha. Man I never realized my toes were lacking the flexibility to move out of the way so much!!!

What you guys think? http://youtu.be/zhn3DNOuU7Y

Nicely done. The round kick is one of my favorite breaks to do.

Here are some breaks from my 4th dan testing. I really botch the spin heel kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wYR-mMZxU8

Not pictured was the flying side kick.

Cool man! You know, taekwondo practitioners always have real nice kicks, looks good man. In karate (primarily what I do anyways) we focus on kicks maye half the time, I think it shows.

So based in the fact that I saw you do the kick I did, is there a way to get your toes out if the way better. As I said we focus on the top of the foot, not ball for roundhouse, and for bouts breaks I always use shin which is more kickboxing really. If you watch my video you'll heare talking about it though, how hard it was off me to hit with the ball without hitting my toes!

If I may chip in, a lot of it comes down to angle of the target in relation to you. With ball of the foot you have to be more of a 45 degree angle to the target and make a real point of turning your back foot and then your hip over. Otherwise you can't get the ball of the foot prominent enough. Need to end up in a position where the heel is higher than your toes. Instep kick is at less of an angle and more with the board directly in line with you.

Thanks, yeah I pretty much always pivot my foot hard on the floor. I was taught long ago to point my toes straight behind me and point my heel at my target, or it isn't right. Maybe that helped me there on my break? Idk, thanks though, I think I figured the angle I needed well I just felt like my toes were in the way like crazy. With no real training in that kick I just didn't know if it was common to have toes be not flexible lol!

Thanks for the insight though, I appreciate it!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DWx is spot on with her analysis. You really have to take an angle to attack the board. You can work on the toes a bit, by pulling them back and using the floor to work the flexibility into them some, but I really think the gains you could make doing this is pretty limited. Some people have the ability to pull their toes back farther than others, as well. My instructor can pull his toes back freakishly far. I can't do that.

In the end, the key is finding the proper angle.

I gotcha, some people are just better at certain things bushido, just like I will never do the splits, van damn made it a prerequisite for being allowed to step into his house haha!

• 7 months later...

Me last night with my daughter messing around. We had sparring but there were 2 students who didn't have gear so I had them do this, so after class her and I played around for a few minutes. It's a fun partner drill that is great for learning to non-telegraph, as if you telegraph and show too much movement prior to the strike, your partner can read it and make you miss.

http://youtu.be/7O_AI6abpQM

I was having some fun before training so I decided to warm up a little with kata and I figured I would film some Kilt kata lol

OSU!

That's funny, Naihanchi cho Dan in a kilt, I have seen it all now I'm sure.

It was very fun, have to say the kilt is my new uniform lol

I was having some fun before training so I decided to warm up a little with kata and I figured I would film some Kilt kata lol

OSU!

That's funny, Naihanchi cho Dan in a kilt, I have seen it all now I'm sure.

Trust me, you haven't seen it all. At least, I hope you haven't. Some things, you just can't unsee.

Has nothing to do with your kata in a kilt, Oshishinobu; just saying.