• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Post videos of yourself performing any technique!

Well, I have a ton of videos of myself doing a variety of things--kata, techniques, exercises, etc. My latest is a video of myself performing Tachimura no Naihanchi on top of a ~10ft tall boulder on a beach in Canada:

Some other ones that I really like, personally, are below.

Applications for nami-gaeshi (the foot sweeping motion in Naihanchi):

Demonstrating an application for the spin in Kusanku:

My first (and so far, only) MMA fight, despite the embarrassing first round:

As far as C-stepping/crescent-stepping goes, it's our primary stepping method, as well. That said, I started my training in a style that steps almost exclusively in straight lines--the idea being that straight lines are the shortest distance between two points and, therefore, the fastest method of stepping. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I also think that modern C-stepping is an exaggeration. If you look at older systems of karate, such as KishimotoDi and Motobu Udundi, they step much more naturally. A straight line isn't a natural step, and neither is a full C-step. Instead, something in between the two is much more natural, faster, and works just as well for generating power.

Very impressive first fight , I admire your courage and your knockout hizageri which you meant and delivered very well .

never give up !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was actually a mawashi-geri, not a hiza-geri, but thank you!

If you watch the full-length video of my fight, you'll see that people keep coming up and asking me questions, and I keep pointing to my foot. They were asking what I hit him with, because knees to the head were illegal. I knew I hit him with the bony part where the ankle and foot meet, but we were at such an angle that the spectators and cameras couldn't tell. Some people said it was a knee to the head, some saw that it was a kick, and some thought I dropped him with a kick to the body, depending on where they were watching from. It took a while before they finally went frame-by-frame through an alternate video camera that they saw what happened. In that video, if you break it down, you can see that when my foot makes contact, the shadow of his arm is on my calf, so my knee is clearly past his head.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...
How about some gun self defense... Working on some stuff with my daughter ;) http://youtu.be/xzhU7Ebz6aU
Looks like fun!

Thanks man. Actually my first week with those techniques so I hope I'm not being judged too harshly if I don't look like GI Joe lol.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Simple sparring session Karate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKOvNjDVLA

I'm the smaller guy. This is a video from about 4 years ago? I'll post some more recent stuff soon!

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

Simple sparring session Karate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKOvNjDVLA

I'm the smaller guy. This is a video from about 4 years ago? I'll post some more recent stuff soon!

This is really cool. I have never done too much traditional sparring, this looks like Shotokan to me. My sparring experience is more of a kickboxing nature. I really like your skills in this video though, real cool looking.

Well hi guys! Long time no see. I'd just like to say that I've really been enjoying watching the videos in this thread.

As for contributing one myself, well, I don't know that many of them exist out there already, and I'm somewhere really remote at the moment where it takes forever to upload a new video.

However, I found video of me at an open tournament in 2009 (blast from the past!) doing tentative kumite for the first couple of minutes, but then getting it together towards the end:

I'm the short one from 5:43 - 8:12

... I don't think my hair has been that long since that tournament lol.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Well hi guys! Long time no see. I'd just like to say that I've really been enjoying watching the videos in this thread.

As for contributing one myself, well, I don't know that many of them exist out there already, and I'm somewhere really remote at the moment where it takes forever to upload a new video.

However, I found video of me at an open tournament in 2009 (blast from the past!) doing tentative kumite for the first couple of minutes, but then getting it together towards the end:

I'm the short one from 5:43 - 8:12

... I don't think my hair has been that long since that tournament lol.

Awesome! Glad you posted this!