• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Post videos of yourself performing any technique!

If I had a camera...but I don't...I guess I'll just enjoy everyone else's video's. Keep them coming in, please!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bushido,-man great vids. great kicks as well. congradulations on 4th dan, im testing for black in september, so im just grtting there but mad respect for the commitment level of you to make it that far.

The video of the side kicks are great because iv had this talk with people about the 2 ways. i prefer the high chamber because it feels more like "pointing my weapon" if you will lol! Thanks for the love about the thread.

Thank you, Luther. Best of luck to you on your upcoming test! :karate:

When I was in the ATA, the high chamber was how we chambered our side kicks. But my body doesn't like doing the kick that way, and the other chamber is the one I currently use, and I prefer it now to the other.

sorry guys i have more time and wanted to post a video on topic of "offensive/defensive hip as well as c-stepping! any input on this guys, practice it? thanks guys. http://youtu.be/VBopaQS4OPU

Thanks for the elaboration here. I've also heard the C-step called a "half-moon" step. I like how you train your hip movement, especially to keep the power of the body in the strikes and blocks. The only thing I don't like is the stepping and landing, then pivoting into the strike or block in a separated movement. I think that takes away the point of the step. I think over time, its most helpful to time the step with the block or strike, which brings the body into play, and still using the hips, but the hip movement becomes much more subtle, in order to avoid the telegraph. Much like Harkon72 lays out in his post.

Ah, you call it C stepping? In the JKA they refer to it as compression and expansion of the body in each transit in the technique.

As for hip movement, and this can apply to C stepping as well, what I have found is that you can telegraph your technique too easily. Hip rotation does give power as you give torque with the spine, and C stepping does give good traction as you move forward or back; yet keeping in mind that your technique must be as efficient as possible for speed and reflex is just as important. Here are two examples;

In the first clip, the Tae Kwon Do student makes a powerful block. But the movement is massive. He uses his whole torso to make the block. He is totally committed to the technique, it may be good but far too polarized.

The second clip has a Wing Chun fighter respond to multiple attacks from different angles with the minimum movement of his arms, his body moves and he has multiple options at all times. He can defend and attack as he chooses as each technique is flowing into the other, efficient but still as powerful.

I like the Wing Chun explanation and demo there. Very useful, I think. Reference the TKD video, I think its also important to take into account that he is demonstrating a board break, and when students do board breaks, they tend to focus and commit to the technique more than they would otherwise, even compared to the performance in a form.

Great shares, by the way. Loving this thread! :)

ok ill try and touch base on any responses/opinions about the topic of forms or the specific movements in them!

first armonox... thanks for clarifying how your school uses forms, the one thing that is actually similar in all responses was first stated by you. you said that your school doesnt believe in a lot of exaggerated movements in kata, others seem to concur. I agree that if it was my intent to use these moves in a fight then it would be less effective to telegraph movements and make exagerated ones. i guess the main thing i am trying to get across is that we learn that kata/poomse/hyung/forms are our connection to the style and to the masters and even students that came before us. we learn mostly stance shifting, focus, hip movement, and awareness of body positioning. these are the key elements that are useful as i learn and believe. bunkai (if i spelled that right) means "practical aplication" and most is not thag practical, we do learn some good applications but MANY of them need to be modified too much for me to consider it the same move i practice from the form over and over. In the end we use more of a sparring method of fighting (like kickboxing if you will) so the specific way of fighting in forms does not really help us.

My point i guess is if i am learning to torque my hip in a form and its not only exagerated, but very telegraphed so that i can use my hip with certainty,bit in a fight i use it in a comletely different way, why would telegraghing be a bad thing in a form. 90% of the blocks and punches from forms are telegraphed anyways and not as effective as basic strikes or blocks. Essentially Im saying forms can be a good way to develop abilities but to apply to fighting in a completely different way. Hopefully im making sense of my point here, i agree if there were even a small resemblance of my gorms and actually fighting, it would be a huge mistake to make big motions or telegragh drastically, but as a training tool in the manner i speak about above I cant see the issue.

This could probably be its own thread but i thought what would make this thread fun is to communicate ideas of the techniques we see from eachother, not just show them off so im just doing my part hahaha!

bushido man thanks for the good luck on my test man, I'm pretty excited because my curriculum changes a lot so it keeps my desire to learn fresh.

This response can easily fit other postsing from other people as well. Wastelander cool videos man, i fought too much growing up so i never wanted to approach sport fighting but props to you because that takes a pair to do it and congrats on the win in the mma fight man! I forgot we are basically from the same area, so glad to see you posting here. My videos will probably never match as yours with the mma fight and the form on a rock but ill still post lol!

ill try to post a few more soon to keep the trend going, really glad so many are posting themselves without hesitation, you guys are awesome!!!

Edited by Luther unleashed

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

This response can easily fit other postsing from other people as well. Wastelander cool videos man, i fought too much growing up so i never wanted to approach sport fighting but props to you because that takes a pair to do it and congrats on the win in the mma fight man! I forgot we are basically from the same area, so glad to see you posting here. My videos will probably never match as yours with the mma fight and the form on a rock but ill still post lol!

Thanks! I really wish I had a better showing in Round 1, and I would like to do one more fight to prove that I can do better, but my health troubles have put that on indefinite hold. In any case, I'm glad you liked the videos! I just put them up for fun, or to explain something I've been discussing with people online, and I encourage others to do the same!

We definitely need to have you come up to the dojo for a visit!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks! I really wish I had a better showing in Round 1, and I would like to do one more fight to prove that I can do better, but my health troubles have put that on indefinite hold. In any case, I'm glad you liked the videos! I just put them up for fun, or to explain something I've been discussing with people online, and I encourage others to do the same!

We definitely need to have you come up to the dojo for a visit!

First off sorry to hear about health issues, without our health we have nothing so i wish you well! If you get anymore videos you should post them, like i said when i get time I'm going to post a few more. I appreciate the invitation to your school, that does sound like a fun idea, well have to see if we can make that happen at some point, take care man!

This is an Aikido self defense video, we didn't make it but I think it's well done.

It's a mile away from the peaceful practice in the harmony of the Dojo.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

This is an Aikido self defense video, we didn't make it but I think it's well done.

It's a mile away from the peaceful practice in the harmony of the Dojo.

Interesting video, i have always found aikido to be quite beautiful, along with wing chun! they are just styles that i really like, however i studied neither because not too many schools i know of near me and i chose my school based on incredible teaching and student energy, not style.

Nice video though

• 9 months later...

So I'm surprised this thread seemed to die out, I always find this type of thread to get attention easily which it has but little posting in a long time. If been a busy person and started my own business if you months ago teaching so figured I'd stop back in to see what was going on, hope everybody is well take care.

I'd like to post some more recent videos of myself, but have not had the time due to work to do any filming.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky