• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Post videos of yourself performing any technique!

... um ...oh ...erm ...

Ok I'll share as it was a totally unexpected find!

MMmmmWAHAhahahahaha! ! ! !

I spotted me in a fight video here: http://www.bkk-britishopen.co.uk/

The video is on Youtube here:

1.26-8 for a whole second... me backing out as I get kicked ... um ... not in the thigh!

:bawling: :bawling:

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

... and that was the end of that tournament for me!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, you call it C stepping? In the JKA they refer to it as compression and expansion of the body in each transit in the technique.

As for hip movement, and this can apply to C stepping as well, what I have found is that you can telegraph your technique too easily. Hip rotation does give power as you give torque with the spine, and C stepping does give good traction as you move forward or back; yet keeping in mind that your technique must be as efficient as possible for speed and reflex is just as important. Here are two examples;

In the first clip, the Tae Kwon Do student makes a powerful block. But the movement is massive. He uses his whole torso to make the block. He is totally committed to the technique, it may be good but far too polarized.

The second clip has a Wing Chun fighter respond to multiple attacks from different angles with the minimum movement of his arms, his body moves and he has multiple options at all times. He can defend and attack as he chooses as each technique is flowing into the other, efficient but still as powerful.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Ah, you call it C stepping? In the JKA they refer to it as compression and expansion of the body in each transit in the technique.

As for hip movement, and this can apply to C stepping as well, what I have found is that you can telegraph your technique too easily. Hip rotation does give power as you give torque with the spine, and C stepping does give good traction as you move forward or back; yet keeping in mind that your technique must be as efficient as possible for speed and reflex is just as important. Here are two examples;

In the first clip, the Tae Kwon Do student makes a powerful block. But the movement is massive. He uses his whole torso to make the block. He is totally committed to the technique, it may be good but far too polarized.

The second clip has a Wing Chun fighter respond to multiple attacks from different angles with the minimum movement of his arms, his body moves and he has multiple options at all times. He can defend and attack as he chooses as each technique is flowing into the other, efficient but still as powerful.

interesting conversation, my style is traditional tang soo do/shotokan karate mixed with boxing, i test for black belt in sept, i then learn hun gar kung fu exclusively untill second degree. Its a mixture but mostly in complete stages if that makes sense. i wonder if traditional schools will fight in a manner reflecting forms.

yes, i totally agree it telegraphs the move, however this is an interesting Discussion in itself. I practice a bit of a mixture of traditional and new concept, we are taught to use forms (and the style of fighting within them) as a useful training method to teach us things like shifting into different stances, c-stepping for other purposes, hip movement for different techniques like the hook I showed! We practice actually fighting in a boxing style with kicks of course. think about it like this, any karate style or tae kwon do practitioner practices the forms yet they spar in a more realistic, and direct way.

basically for me i learned to do many things in forms, to essentially derive fundimentals from it like stance shifting, power, and making them fast, BUT the style in which i was tought to FIGHT will never use a horsestance reverse punch or double knife hands like in the video. My hands protect my face, not chamber on the side..IE sparring! based on this aproach telegraphing is ok to allow students to learn to use teir hips, as long as they understand and practice their moves using forms as only a refference. Did i just ramble haha sorry. does that make sense, and do oters use forms as a direct mirror of how they will fight, or do most others feel they learn fundimentals from old techniques as I do, interesting thought!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

interesting conversation, my style is traditional tang soo do/shotokan karate mixed with boxing, i test for black belt in sept, i then learn hun gar kung fu exclusively untill second degree. Its a mixture but mostly in complete stages if that makes sense. i wonder if traditional schools will fight in a manner reflecting forms.

yes, i totally agree it telegraphs the move, however this is an interesting Discussion in itself. I practice a bit of a mixture of traditional and new concept, we are taught to use forms (and the style of fighting within them) as a useful training method to teach us things like shifting into different stances, c-stepping for other purposes, hip movement for different techniques like the hook I showed! We practice actually fighting in a boxing style with kicks of course. think about it like this, any karate style or tae kwon do practitioner practices the forms yet they spar in a more realistic, and direct way.

basically for me i learned to do many things in forms, to essentially derive fundimentals from it like stance shifting, power, and making them fast, BUT the style in which i was tought to FIGHT will never use a horsestance reverse punch or double knife hands like in the video. My hands protect my face, not chamber on the side..IE sparring! based on this aproach telegraphing is ok to allow students to learn to use teir hips, as long as they understand and practice their moves using forms as only a refference. Did i just ramble haha sorry. does that make sense, and do oters use forms as a direct mirror of how they will fight, or do most others feel they learn fundimentals from old techniques as I do, interesting thought!

We take a different approach to sparring and kata. There are some kata (kihon kata, fukyu kata, pinan kata) that teach you the basics of the style. There are other kata (Seisan, Tensho, Naihaichi) that focus on a particular element. There are some kata that are more combat oriented. Notice in a lot of Shorin kata, especially the 'more advanced' kata, most blocks are 'reinforced blocks.' Is that really reinforcing anything? Or is it teaching you to keep your guard up?

And also comes a difference between styles - we don't believe in a lot of exaggerated moves in kata. Too much telegraphing, and it's too slow. Kata is a teaching tool - and different styles use it differently.

I've used the 'c-step' in sparring, but only when moving in on an opponent - using leading to a foot sweep as part of a throw.

(I'd also point out, since you mentioned it, that we do not do punches in a horse stance, since it's not practical. Throws and blocks maybe, but not punches.)

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Well, I have a ton of videos of myself doing a variety of things--kata, techniques, exercises, etc. My latest is a video of myself performing Tachimura no Naihanchi on top of a ~10ft tall boulder on a beach in Canada:

Some other ones that I really like, personally, are below.

Applications for nami-gaeshi (the foot sweeping motion in Naihanchi):

Demonstrating an application for the spin in Kusanku:

My first (and so far, only) MMA fight, despite the embarrassing first round:

As far as C-stepping/crescent-stepping goes, it's our primary stepping method, as well. That said, I started my training in a style that steps almost exclusively in straight lines--the idea being that straight lines are the shortest distance between two points and, therefore, the fastest method of stepping. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I also think that modern C-stepping is an exaggeration. If you look at older systems of karate, such as KishimotoDi and Motobu Udundi, they step much more naturally. A straight line isn't a natural step, and neither is a full C-step. Instead, something in between the two is much more natural, faster, and works just as well for generating power.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I like that Knock Out Noah, It's a round kick isn't it? You caught him with your knee, same result! Nice technique.

Yes, it's a round kick, and I actually caught him with the bone at the transition from my ankle to my instep--which is precisely where I intended, so I felt good about that. If you watch the whole thing, you see a bunch of people coming up and talking to me, and me pointing to that spot on my foot. They all thought I hit him with the knee, which is illegal in amateur MMA in this state. I assured them that I felt contact with my foot, and the red spot backed me up. Thankfully, some video taken at other angles shows that my knee was past his head and my foot is what made contact with him.

Here is one alternate angle: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2m3kSi888CI/Ugo1UxDt5HI/AAAAAAAAHQs/xErKWveSmwA/s1600/MMA+Debut+-+KO+from+Live+Feed+Replay.gif

And another, where you can see that my foot hit him: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2GYJNX3ZeYc/Uhgl_SP9fHI/AAAAAAAAHcw/HQmIr_enFPc/s1600/MMA+Debut+-+KO+3.gif

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

We could discuss the shin/instep v ball of the foot round kick variation debate but its been done elsewhere. I was trained to do both, depending on target and what footwear I had on. I like the Thai style kick but wearing boots, there's nothing like the toe of the boot inside the thigh as a set up or a finisher if you catch him right. I've never fought in a cage, only point semi-contact and traditional Ippon Kumite. I must admit, I like the side kick better than the round kick but that said, close in I prefer to target the legs in a defense situation.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

We could discuss the shin/instep v ball of the foot round kick variation debate but its been done elsewhere. I was trained to do both, depending on target and what footwear I had on. I like the Thai style kick but wearing boots, there's nothing like the toe of the boot inside the thigh as a set up or a finisher if you catch him right. I've never fought in a cage, only point semi-contact and traditional Ippon Kumite. I must admit, I like the side kick better than the round kick but that said, close in I prefer to target the legs in a defense situation.

Yes, we already had quite a lengthy discussion on that one, not too long ago. I love the side kick, but because my opponent was a wrestler, I decided not to use it. Round kicks were to be used sparingly, as well, but I knew he liked to drop his lead hand for a knee-pick while throwing an overhand right, which left him open for the kick I landed.