• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crosstraining TKD/Boxing

From what I hear about TKD, it sounds like hands are neglected in most TKD dojos. It sounds like a real good idea to crosstrain in boxing

Bon, I was merely commenting that if you want to learn TKD together with hand techniques (punching) .... BizMarkie may want to look into a style of TKD that will incorporates punching into TKD instruction (as most traditional schools do.)

I am not saying that you can't cross train in boxing (something that I personally would love to do if there were a boxing gym in my area) but the closest thing that I personally do is train on my own with kickboxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sense you want to take boxing and tae kwon do for practical fighting for the street.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps I would do this if I were to live in the poorest areas in Sao Paolo or Cape Town, but in a "normal" place like Sweden this would be a dumb idea. I have never struck a person outside my dojo and never will, I would rather take a few hits than raise the stakes of an already incendiary situation! I have always been able to discuss my way out of trouble and will keep on doing so until the day my tounge is no more.

Quote:

"I have always been able to discuss my way out of trouble and will keep on doing so until the day my tounge is no more."

BORING! :roll:

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Then why do you bother even seeking expansion and improvement in martial ways? If you "never will" hit anyone, then to learn how to punch or to learn how to kick, is just a waste of your time. And a waste of everyone else's time in this forum, for even posing the question. You may do better taking Yoga, or to become a Zen philosopher, if you have no intention of using any martial skills, or are somehow dillusioned that you will never have to. I hope that someday, those "few hits" that you take won't be with a knife, or won't be blows that would cripple or even kill you. Indeed with this attitude someday your tongue will be no more.

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Bon...

I don't ban cross-training..Each martial arts has its own limitations....I also believe you have to be careful on which two styles you cross-train in..If the rules are completely different in the two styles you choose to cross-train in SIMULTANEOUSLY, your rthyum, speed, timing, and reaction, may be affected... Like you said, you can learn how to box best by taking boxing...YOu can learn how to kick best, by taking tae kwon do...However, the story changes when you try to link boxing and kicking in a fight... YOu have to learn how to kick and transfer your weight into a punch.. Furthermore, boxers fight with one side with more of their body facing their opponent..tae kwon doist will change sides and less of their bodies face their opponents...Which stance will BizMarkie choose? How will he link hands with his kicks?

Sure the punches in I.T.F and Muay Thai may not be better than the punches in boxing, but the I.T.F, Muay Thai and other kicking and fighting styles, are styles which effectively link punches with kicks...

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• 2 weeks later...

LEARN THE BOXING! BOXING WILL EHANCE YOU OVERALL FIGHTING SKILLS ESPECIALLY WITH TKD. I CURRENTLY HAVE DONE WESTERN STYLE BOXING FOR 2 YRS(IN DA RING) AND NOW TAKE TKD(ORANGE BELT) AND KRAV MAGA( AWESOME) AND JUDOKAN JUDO(EIGHT YRS)..

THE BOXING HAS INCREASED MY HAND EYE COORDINATION, SPPED ETC. ALSO GOOD CARDIO TRAINING...

SUKU

(52 HANDS BLOCK)

JAILHOUSE STYLE

The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle. - Motto of Navy Seals

Then why do you bother even seeking expansion and improvement in martial ways? If you "never will" hit anyone, then to learn how to punch or to learn how to kick, is just a waste of your time.

Some people do MA for a hobby or for a sport. Not every guy that take ma is going to get into a fight but it is a good thing to learn , maybe he just wants to be better at sparring?