• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crosstraining TKD/Boxing

I was wondering if it's benefitiary to add boxing to my TKD to improve my skills with fists, since I feel I lack that in this mostly kicking art? And don't say I should do some grappling; 'cause I don't like grappling, no offence I hope. Any helping tips?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I hear about TKD, it sounds like hands are neglected in most TKD dojos. It sounds like a real good idea to crosstrain in boxing.

As far as grappling goes, if you're after self-defense, you might not like grappling, but it's a very good idea to train in it.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Should be fun for the first few months, when you do a TKD guard in boxing and get a punch in the head - then you do a boxing guard in TKD and get kicked in the stomach.

But joking aside, you will learn how to put power behind a punch - something that you might not learn in TKD

But I don't know much about this lark - I just throw around a big stick.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

SOunds like a good mix to me. Working your footwork in one and your fists in the other. Can't go wrong there. The footwork will also help you in boxing. The fist work will help you with blocking quickly in TKD. So they do mix well.

it sounds good, but I don't think it's a good idea....i believe if you want a balance of kicking and punching you should do muay thai, instead of taking two different fighting styles simultaneously...When you box, you have to discipline yourself not to kick...Likewise, when you kick, you have to discipline yourself not to punch to the head...This may cause discrupt your rhythm and fluidity in sparring...Your reaction speed may also be altered.. YOu may encounter a problem of trying to link your kicks with your punches, when fighting on the street.

Keep in mind Tae kwon do can limit punches by quickly closing the gap, so you can't punch...You will develop this habit of closing the gap, thus limiting your ability to punch...(it therefore has the potential of becoming a grappling match on the street.) I sense you want to take boxing and tae kwon do for practical fighting for the street...Remember, that some kicks in tae kwon do are not practical for the street.... My advice is, if you're so keen on having a balance of kicking and punching, try tae kwon do first..AFter you are proficient in Tae kwon do, move on to boxing...OR take boxing with an I.T.F style of tae kwon do, where they DO actively incorporate punches, including punching to the head...(Remember, the W.T.F style of tae kwon do is commonly referred to as the "KIcking art..There are different styles of tae kwon do which stress punching..")

Finally, as i mentioned earlier, you may resort to Muay Thai...

Taking two vast different styles with different rules simultaneously, will confuse your ability to fight in a fluid matter.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

You may want to find yourself (as koreantiger81 suggested sort of) an ITF (traditionally based) Tae Kwon Do school that does incorporate punching defense.

Traditionally Tae Kwon do translates to "the art of kicking and punching".

Because of it's numerous unique kicks, each with many variations, TKD is called the "kicking martial art". But you must remember that is not to say that ALL TKD does not use hand techniques ... it uses the same basic hand techniques used in other martial arts, which makes it a well rounded empty-handed martial art.

Because major TKD organizations developed Tae kwon do into a modern international amateur and Olympic sportthey tried to maintain its proud tradition and martial art spirit but somehow that has been lost in some TKD instruction. The points system of free fighting was devised specifically with limitations on punching to measure the skill and ability of the students kicking ability only to strike targets and minimizing potential injury.

At our school we cover these hand techniques:(check out our school logo which is my avatar .... that is a punching HAND not a kicking FOOT)

Punches: Hand attacks using a closed fist.

Strikes: Hand attacks using some variation of an open hand.

Thrusts: Hand attacks when some part of the hand is thrust into the opponent.

Elbows: Although not a part of the hand, elbow attacks are categorized as hand techniques.

You can't trian your hands as well you can in boxing in any other art. A kickboxing can use his hands, but nowhere near as well as a boxer can.

KoreanTiger and KickChick, you're defeating the purpose of cross training. It's like telling someone who wants to cross train in weapons to take a karate class. You might learn how to use weapons well, but it's not going to be as good as doing escrima, or pure weapons training.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.