• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello!

Hey, I'm a karateka from the USA.

I am a shodan in the shorin-ryu style. I received this quite recently.

I am 17, and I have trained for 2.5-4 hours, 3 times a week, for 9 years ( since I was 8 ). Breaks were only two times a year - one week in christmas and one week after the mid-year grading. Gradings were always 2 times a year. Other than these breaks, I have only missed 2 weeks of karate ( 2 weeks total in the 9 years) due to vacation.

However, I am skeptical as the the legitimacy of my belt level - is 17 too young? (Since my sensei has made it clear that my shodan was not "junior" in any way - since we didn't ever give junior black belts - I believe the youngest shodan was 16 and he was definitely better than me). Jitte, Bassai-dai, chinto, wanshu, ananku + all the heian were the datas performed at my grading. Bankai for all the kata, Kumite and kihon were of course also present.

Thank you =]

P.S. Looking for someone to comment on the legitimacy of a shodan under 18. While I understand a shodan is a beginner level (literally beginning-dan or first-level), I still do not feel comfortable as I feel that I am not as good as the other shodan are in my dojo (although they have been shodan for 3 or 4 more years).

Edited by ShaolinShorin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome !!!

Interesting question - I'm sure there's much to debate but in my opinion a martial arts journey belongs to the individual. In that regard your belt is worth exactly what you put into it - and no more - and from what your saying it sounds like you've worked hard for it and obviously your instructors saw something worth promoting. By the way, that applies to every belt in every color IMHO. So in the end YOUR belt is worth exactly what YOU think it's worth. So I ask you - how would you answer your own question ? :)

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Welcome to KF and congrats on your BB.

"legitimacy" is a fuzzy term, so is a set age to receive a black belt (or midnight blue belt). As if it's done on age, is it right to set a limit on physical age if someone young is more mature?

To be honest, imo, it's great that you are questioning but I would say listen to your instructor. If he has awarded you a full BB, be pleased and accept his judgement. And don't worry about not being as good as other shodans, they have the experience, plus they are closer to their Nidan. You're not there to compare yourself to them, you're there to improve yourself :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Hello ShaolinShorin and welcome to the forum. In answer to your question - between 16 and 18 is just the right for for a first dan. Remember, it's the first step, the end of the apprenticeship of the kyu grades. You'll here many of going on about kids and black belt etc. But this is in relation to say 9 and 13 year olds and the lack of a distinction between junior grades and full senior grades. So well done and carry on.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Welcome to the forum!

I actually just received my shodan ranking in Shorin-Ryu this past weekend, and I tested along with a dedicated 16 year old. I have been training for 8 years, and he's been training about that long, as well--if not a little longer. In my opinion, if your instructor believes you have what it takes, and you can pass the test at 16-17 years old, then your rank is just as legitimate as someone passing it when they are 18 years old. The fact that your instructor made you wait as long as 9 years before testing is a pretty good sign that he doesn't promote people lightly.

Congratulations on passing your test, and enjoy your training!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to KF! :karate:

I don't think you should worry too much about the legitimacy of your shodan grade. Opinions on age vary all over the place, so each has their own opinions and experiences. Also, its hard to tell from what someone writes in a forum thread, if you know what I mean. We can all only assume. What's really important is how you feel about it, and after 9 years in, I think you should feel pretty good.

Others also differ on the thought that a shodan is a "beginner." I don't really buy into this train of thought, but others do. So, to each their own. It really boils down to a matter of personal philosophy, or what ever philosophies your instructors try to instill in you as a student.

Once again, welcome to our community, and I look forward to hearing and learning from you. :karate:

Welcome ShaolinShorin

In all honesty what your belt is worth is what you make it worth. You don't need a load of Internet strangers validating your rank. The value is in what you put in, on what your sensei awarded it for and in how you stack up against your dojo peers. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I can tell you a secret, and thinking about it it's pretty obvious. Grades and Belts mean nothing!! They are a relatively new phenomenon in martial arts and have nothing to do with karate or any other art. They are just a measure of commitment that is visual in one system of achievement. In the worst case they show how much you or your parents for example have spent. Belts are not just given but they can be bought. You know how far you have come, your Sensei knows how much you have put in to your karate. An observer only has to watch you to know that you have achieved your level. An opponent will look up from the floor in the knowledge that your art is genuine. You don't need a piece of colored cloth or a paper certificate to confirm that you are a martial artist. As the master answered when questioned about his belt "Canvas - You like?" In my present club we all wear white belts, regardless of grade, there are no grades below master but some have 30 years of experience, the look in the eye will let you know.

Look to the far mountain and see all.